Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronic cardio and how it effects the body page

z90xhccs is offline Junior Member

Chronic cardio and how it effects the body

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,
    I am going to do a persuasive speech trying to sway people away from chronic cardio and towards low intensity and high intensity exercise. I am well aware that Mark has a few posts on chronic cardio and cortisol, but he doesn't provide sources and I can't use a blog as a source.
    I have been scoping out information, but does anyone know of any good studies or journals that talk about it?
    Thanks guys,
    Zach

I would like to say for the record that I am not trying to get y'all to do my research for me and I can post up here what I find when I get it, just figured I would ask just in case someone knew a source of great information.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    "Cardio" may cause heart disease - Part I | Psychology Today - he references some studies, and I think even the NY Times recently published something about the negatives of marathon running, possibly in response to the same study

Thanks for the reply, do you (or anyone else) know about Mark's other claims about cardio? Ie elevated cortisol, inflammation, muscle atrophy, etc and so on perhaps as well as the effects of elevated cortisol on the body?
    I have been searching for a good hour and haven't found much in terms of research, just forums and speculations (and not even that for a lot of them.)
    Ancdetal stories are all good, but as you guys know don't hold much water when actually trying to prove something.

AaronM is offline Junior Member
    Try checking out Body By Science. Doug McGuff and John Little run the site, which is devoted to High Intensity Training - very similar to what Mark recommends. The best option for finding medical studies would be their book of the same title, though checking out their Articles would probably be a good place to start.

Also, the article Less is Not Less at SaveYourself.ca, on the frequency of strength training and related gains might give you some scientific articles to look at, as well as places to search for others.

I hope this helps,
    Aaron
    Acting on one good idea is better than hoarding all the world's knowledge.

Complete Strength Training

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Body by Science is actually very different from PBF except for the fact that they both advise against chronic cardio. ;-)

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    Body by Science is actually very different from PBF except for the fact that they both advise against chronic cardio. ;-)
    That's only because you don't know what's the same between the two.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I make copies of this article by Rachel Cosgrove and give it to people running on the treadmill at the Y:
    Figure Athlete - The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin

(Not unsolicited; this is usually following a conversation about why they're not getting results after wasting hours every week running on that damned thing.)

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I am curious about what everyone thinks constitutes chronic cardio. What heartrate percentage, and for what time frame? Running a marathon is obviously much different than running for a hour a couple times a week, so I wanted to get your thoughts...
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    That's only because you don't know what's the same between the two.
    Body by Science: Do one set of ultra-slow repetitions to failure per muscle group once per week - aim for 90 seconds time under load for one set. This typically amounts to about 5-8 repetitions per set (and in this case also, per week) per muscle group.

PBF: Work out 2-3 times a week, and in each workout aim for dozens of repetitions - for example 50 push-ups, 20 pull-ups etc. - which you perform in a circuit/superset like fashion. This amounts to several dozen, if not hundreds of repetitions per week and muscle group.

Quite a difference, I would say. As I posted elsewhere, it surprises me that Mark mentioned BBS on the last page of the PBF ebook. The similarities are the evolutionary reasoning behind the diet and the low-carb approach, but as far as exercising is concerned, the two could hardly be any more different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast