Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Vegetables - Do We Really Need Them? page 9

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    Taubes is making the claim, (quote) "Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long-term weight loss".

This is an extremely dubious claim, to say the very least.
    You yourself said that you went on low-calorie diets, lost weight, and then when you went off the diet, you gained the weight back. Shouldn't you have kept the weight off once you started eating at maintenance levels?

In other news, tonight I was gonna cook myself some kale, but I got lazy so I just microwaved some leftover baked sweet potato. Mmmm, vegetables. I'm surprised at how much I actually like kale, cooked in animal fat with lots and lots of garlic.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    That's a good thing mate. Overly aggressive internet-forum types are less than impressive. Be proud of yourself and remain nice and polite.
    If being called on your bullshit is what passes for "Overly aggressive" in your world.

You're a passive aggressive twit, you're boohooohooing about how mean someone's been to you after honking your horn about how your badass honesty offends people.

I vigorously shrug my shoulders in your general direction.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Re Fibre - there is value in it. With healthy gut flora, fibre ferments in the small intestine to produce butyrate
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think fibre is similar to other things, such as cardio, that are good in moderate quantities but bad at the high levels encouraged by CW.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I think fibre is similar to other things, such as cardio, that are good in moderate quantities but bad at the high levels encouraged by CW.
    I not read this. References?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Stabby, how do you use jicama?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I not read this. References?
    Whole Health Source: Butyric Acid: an Ancient Controller of Metabolism, Inflammation and Stress Resistance (he makes the references himself )

Butyrate has caused me to re-think my position on fiber-- which was formerly that it's irrelevant at best. I felt that fiber came along with nutrient-dense whole plant foods, but was not beneficial per se. I believed that the associations between fiber intake and a lower risk of a number of diseases were probably due to the fact that wealthier, more educated, healthier people tend to buy more whole grains, fruit and vegetables. In other words, I believed that fiber intake was associated with better health, but did not contribute to it. I now feel, based on further reading about fiber and short-chain fatty acids like butyrate, that the associations represent a true cause-and-effect relationship.

Thanks Imasin, but that doesn't say that too much fibre is bad for you, which is Owly's claim!

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    some days i eat more veggies than others, today i had kale chips for dinner with celery and cream cheese. . . however, yesterday i only ate meat. besides, i am addicted to bacon wrapped serranos so i could never give up veggies.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Anyone who's ever consumed too much fibre will tell you exactly how it's bad for you!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast