Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetables - Do We Really Need Them? page 5

Digby is offline Senior Member
    When I think about foods I deeply crave/need (vs sugar cravings), I always wanted liver, bacon, red meat, and walnuts; while I've plowed throgh acres of lettuce and other veg, I never have that deep need for them. Berries, apples, I enjoy in small amounts, but most other fruit doesn't call to me-- this from the kid of four generations of apple-growers.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    If we are just talking about survival then no. If we are talking OPTIMAL HEALTH I would say yes. There are benefits to eating them like polyphenols, potassium, antioxidants, fibre (debatable but probably beneficial in moderate amounts), vitamin C etc etc. To be honest I would find it difficult to hit all my nutrients every day based on nutrition data if I didn't eat some veg and fruit to a lesser extent.

Not to mention they add variety to your diet and an all meat fare sounds boring as hell to me and sub-optimal IMHO.

I probably don't get my "5 servings a day" every day but eat more starchy root veg (that for some reason doesn't count in guidelines?!?!?!) then your salad type. Like Stabby said why eat extra protein to make glucose, when you can just eat glucose?
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Why do you think it is debatable whether fibre is good for us or not?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    Most all of us eat drastically less fiber than before and have much better digestion, and fiber is another substance for which a ton of health claims are made and very little hard evidence that it is healthy. It does slow digestion of starchy foods, thus moderating insulin spikes, but other than that - ?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Read GCBC, the need for fiber is another CW myth.

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Most all of us eat drastically less fiber than before and have much better digestion, and fiber is another substance for which a ton of health claims are made and very little hard evidence that it is healthy. It does slow digestion of starchy foods, thus moderating insulin spikes, but other than that - ?
    Makes me crap better, that's for sure.

@Adrianag: you're going to have to extrapolate a little on this acronyms if I'm to have a clue.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

@Adrianag: you're going to have to extrapolate a little on this acronyms if I'm to have a clue.
    Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. You've only been told to read it about 15 times since you showed up here trying to save us from our misguided unscientific sinning ways.

As for vegetables, no we don't need them. But they need us.

Nettle is offline Senior Member
    I love vegetables so I need vegetables. They also make me feel good when I eat them. I also grow them and they make me feel good when I'm doing that. I could probably survive just eating meat but whether I'd thrive who knows. At one time I survived eating just vegetables but ended up not thriving after a few years. I'm not willing to test out just meat eating for the sake of experimenting to see. Besides it would be boring and more expensive to just eat meat. If people want to give it a try then go for it. Even if they did fair just fine it wouldn't get me to change. I love meat and all but have no desire to make it the be all and end all of my diet.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Crapping is unhealthy. You're letting go of precious nutrients.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. You've only been told to read it about 15 times since you showed up here trying to save us from our misguided unscientific sinning ways.
    captain--Here's a quick link to an excerpt that will both give some reference and save you from reading about 630 pages:
    Read an Excerpt: 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' - ABC News

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    As for vegetables, no we don't need them. But they need us.
    This may be the best thought in the entire thread. Nice.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast