Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetables - Do We Really Need Them? page 3

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I won't rehash the excellent points already made. Personally, I need them to not be bored to death with my food. Vegetables offer so much variety of taste and texture!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I just had some aspargus in bacon topped with hollandaise - mmmmmmmmm - and I'm going to say, yes, I need veggies.

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    What do you think? Do we really need to eat vegetables? Based on GCBC it appears we really don't need them but I suspect most primal/paleo folks are hanging on to them as the last vestiges of CW and for variety and for "insurance".

Then again, there is no way to know for sure that Sisson et al have it 100% correct so keeping veggies in the mix gives us a bit of insurance I guess. That and some carefully selected supplements.
    Yes, we need them, is the short answer.

As someone else already addressed, do you we need them to survive? Possibly not. But you can survive on Big Macs and Coke if you want to. That's no way to live.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Ok, then my question is why do we need them? What will happen if we don't eat vegetables? Will be have less quality of life? Will we die an earlier death than we would without them?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I am betting that most of this forum are getting sub-optimal amounts of potassium.

Simply because there were people who didn't eat vegetables and they didn't completely fucking die doesn't mean that they wouldn't have been better with some vegetables. There is good stuff in them, especially green vegetables like broccoli and spinach. And root vegetables like sweet potato provide a good source of carbs. Is anyone going to try to convince me that it is better to eat excess protein to turn that into the glucose we need than it is to just eat the glucose?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    It's interesting that people tend to condemn fruit without considering that vegetables might not be that great, either. I realize that the massive differences in sugar content have a lot to do with that, but still.
    I really love (some) vegetables, though - so I'd never give them up. 80% of the reason behind me eating them is simply because I enjoy it, 20% is that 'well, I should probably eat some vegetables' voice in the back of my head. Parsnips 4 lyf.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Then again, there is no way to know for sure that Sisson et al have it 100% correct so keeping veggies in the mix gives us a bit of insurance I guess. That and some carefully selected supplements.
    If you look at the PB Food Pyramid the foundation is veggies and fruit.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I am betting that most of this forum are getting sub-optimal amounts of potassium.

Simply because there were people who didn't eat vegetables and they didn't completely fucking die doesn't mean that they wouldn't have been better with some vegetables. There is good stuff in them, especially green vegetables like broccoli and spinach. And root vegetables like sweet potato provide a good source of carbs. Is anyone going to try to convince me that it is better to eat excess protein to turn that into the glucose we need than it is to just eat the glucose?
    This is kinda why I want folks such as yourself to provide us less enthusiastic-about-veg folks with a list of "eat these, asshole" veggies...?
    I eats broc and spinach on the regular, I supp with sweet potatoes, am I good to go?

MountainDew is offline Senior Member
    I need the lettuce for my bacon, egg, and guacamole wraps...
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10
    Starting Weight: 215
    Current Weight (1/25/11): 180
    Goal Weight: 160

peril is offline Senior Member
    Life would be intolerable without onions, garlic and ginger. I enjoy all sorts of vegies so would not entertain dropping them. Finally, the micronutrient argument is persuasive. Don't we all want to thrive, not just survive?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast