Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetables - Do We Really Need Them? page 2

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm not going to dump the veggies just so I can be an Inuit any more than I am going to eat rice just to be Chinese.

Veggies are like exercise, you can live without it, but the benefits are real. There is good nutrition in the right veggies.

I like to shred squash and make up spicy things to cook with it, and mini sweet peppers with a lot of color varieties. Plus I do a fair bit of celery and natural peanut butter, salads, and organic tomato soup.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    If you track what you eat on something like FitDay or CRON-o-meter, you'll see that it's difficult to get enough of the micronutrients listed over time without eating a variety of (red) meat, vegetables, and seafood. Of course, these online trackers aren't exact, but just because the Inuit supposedly ate no produce (and they did when they got the chance) and managed to survive (which is why they ate every part of the animal) doesn't mean that it is the ideal diet (or even a desirable one).
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 04-12-2011 at 07:46 AM.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people cite the Inuit as being veggie free but this has pretty much been debunked - Hunt Gather Love has done a few writeups on the topic.

I find that most people who ask "do we need veggies" don't like veggies and are looking for an excuse not to eat them. If you want optimum health, you will need to eat a variety of foods of all types, and that includes plants. AND offal. If you don't like plant food, or fish or meat or fat or whatever, you don't have to eat them but don't pretend you're healthier because of it.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I can not imagine anything more boring than an all meat diet.

I guess I feel about veggies the way some folks feel about bread. I would rather die than give up my veggies.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I like Kurt Harris' take on it, which is that vegetables are probably good in moderate quantities.

Archevore - Archevore Blog - William Munny eats his*vegetables

Taubes also hasn't said "don't eat vegetables", he's said that there's not clear scientific evidence one way or the other. Much like his stance on exercise, I think his position on vegetables is greatly misinterpreted.

Besides, I eat my veggies because they taste good and I (subjectively) feel better when I do. Also, vegetables are a fantastic fat carrier mechanism--sweet potatoes with butter, spinach with bacon fat, and so on. Mmmmm.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dutchie is offline Member
    I surely need the vitamins and other beneficial traits of veggies for my health. They can't all be replaced purely by meat.
    It's just this entire low carb craziness made me afraid of them
    Before I was scared of how much fat is needed.What's the minimal for a sedentary person,and then there's the issue of fat from oils&other substances and fat within meat,fish,eggs. Especially since I like fatty fish and I mean the really fattier ones!not the 'low-fat' fatty fish like salmon&tuna, but herring,mackerel and smoked eel.

Now I fear the amount of fat and veggies! Basically eating and not exercising and no IF'ing,which all Primals seem to be doing.
    I wish I had a Primal mentor,preferrably one who falls into my category,so I might stop the anxiety&stressing in my head of becoming 'fat' again with no exercising.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Zeroing In On Health – The Blog! » ZC Icon Dies in Car Crash

I like this blog. This article in particular addresses this thread topic.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    A lot of people cite the Inuit as being veggie free but this has pretty much been debunked - Hunt Gather Love has done a few writeups on the topic.

I find that most people who ask "do we need veggies" don't like veggies and are looking for an excuse not to eat them. If you want optimum health, you will need to eat a variety of foods of all types, and that includes plants. AND offal. If you don't like plant food, or fish or meat or fat or whatever, you don't have to eat them but don't pretend you're healthier because of it.
    I think the argument is this…

- plant matter and fruits aren’t all they’re made out to be (I agree with this)

- you can derive all nutrient and mineral needs from meat alone (that’s debatable)

However, if we were to assume that the second idea is indeed right, this would therefore make vegetables “useless” and we wouldn’t NEED to include them in our diets.

I sort of fall under the group of people that doesn’t absolutely love vegs, though there’s quite a few that I don’t really need or want to part ways with, but if I absolutely HAD to I think I could make due with just meat. It’s important to note that a lot of these “all meat” cultures really don’t have a choice, they eat what’s available.

I’m content with not forcing myself to eat a WIDE VARIETY of food (another thing I kind of have an issue with… and feel like I’m being preached at hah) because “we need variety” but if a, b, and c all offer the same exact component, why can’t I just eat one of them all the time? Unless it’s proven that the body does indeed require variety (and it doesn’t otherwise entire cultures that eat the same three things would be non-existent) then I think we need to drop that bit.

I think it’d be fun to include a list of “must have” veggies from a nutritional perspective (not the noms perspective) I’d like to hear especially from veggie lovers…

I personally routinely include: spinach, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, onions, garlic, avocado (a fruit.. whatever, can we convert this to a vegetable already? Same with tomatoes, call whoever is responsible for this re-class) asparagus and sweet potatoes.. and to a lesser degree I like mixed greens, carrots, cauliflower… why do I eat these? I've read (or been told) that they're great nutritionally, and through regular usage I've developed a taste for all of them.

But I’ll never turn down a veggie platter if it’s served to me, I just won’t go out of my way to make it for myself.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-12-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typos

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I surely need the vitamins and other beneficial traits of veggies for my health. They can't all be replaced purely by meat.
    It's just this entire low carb craziness made me afraid of them
    Before I was scared of how much fat is needed.What's the minimal for a sedentary person,and then there's the issue of fat from oils&other substances and fat within meat,fish,eggs. Especially since I like fatty fish and I mean the really fattier ones!not the 'low-fat' fatty fish like salmon&tuna, but herring,mackerel and smoked eel.

Now I fear the amount of fat and veggies! Basically eating and not exercising and no IF'ing,which all Primals seem to be doing.
    I wish I had a Primal mentor,preferrably one who falls into my category,so I might stop the anxiety&stressing in my head of becoming 'fat' again with no exercising.
    Hey Dutchie! DO NOT be afraid of vegetables! It's very hard for non-starchy vegetables to make you fat, and even the starchy ones usually come with enough fiber that they are difficult to overeat for most people I think (except maybe in cases where they set off hypoglycemia and/or sugar cravings). If you want to eat them, prepare them with some good fat and eat. As for fat, you may want to check out the 'counting calories' thread. But I think the main thing is to be eating some kind of high-quality animal product at each meal.

I don't IF. Sometimes I end up 'inadvertently' IF'ing because of my schedule or I'm not that hungry (I've never been a 'three meals a day' person anyway), but I never plan them and I've still been seeing changes in body composition. There are a lot of us that don't. Maybe you could start a different thread or a journal?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I don't remember if Taubes said it in GCBC but I know he mentions in Why We Get Fat that there is no scientific evidence showing that vegetables will improve your health. I personally like the taste of vegetables with my meat and I don't think it hurts your diet at all. Some of the benefits are that it can help alleviate constipation (when you eat mostly protein and fat people tend to get constipated), and veggies will also help balance your PH since meat is mostly acidifying and veggies are generally more alkaline.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast