Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other books I should be looking at? page

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I am in amazon.com right now, poised to purchase The Primal Blueprint. Are there any other books I should consider before I hit the purchase button? Someone mentioned Good Calories, Bad Calories in another thread- is that one worth it? Any others?

maba is offline Senior Member

I checked out GCBC from the library yesterday, it will be my inflight reading book tomorrow (going on vacation). Another book I want to read is Primal Body- Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas, went to Barnes & Nobles, they didn't have it. I plan to buy it after I return from my vacation next month. Get the movie Fathead by Tom Naughton - I haven't watched it yet but have seen the trailer on you tube whose link I just posted on the Food Inc Movie thread.

Btw, here's an article that the author of GCBC, Gary Taubes, wrote for NYT way back in 2002. It's a long one, but do read it. That should give you an idea whether or not to buy GCBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...tml?sec=health

Dollface is offline Member

I've ordered GCBC from the library, they are getting it in for me especially. From what I understand the article he wrote back in 2002 he has said in an interview that he has changed his stance on a few things, I guess he's done a ton more research since then. Protein Power is a good book too. And I highly recommended Fat Head, it's a great movie/documentary, great for skeptical family also

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Maba, that article is awesome! The 80's are what did me in with the low fat way. It's a hard mentality to change. Thanks for sharing that. Have a great vacation!

Dollface, I've got Protein Power- it's a good one. Definitely will check out Fat Head- thanks for the recommendation.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

I've heard Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon is a good one if you're on the fence about incorporating intermittent fasting into your regimen.

chmcclellan Guest

"Body by Science" by Dr. Doug McGuff and John Little is great for the "lift heavy things once in a while". While not primal per se, they use a lot of science to reach the conclusion that infrequent but extremely high intensity challenges are the best for building strength. Very good at explaining the science and citing actual supporting studies.

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Here are some of my top recommendations:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-b...ested-reading/

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Oh, and thanks for buying my book!

tman Guest

@Mark-thanks for the list of books-I always love to read well researched, well thought out theories that can influence my thinking-this looks like a pretty good list of books to dive into (I actually have three of them already). I like your book too-and appreciate your passion.

@chmcclellan-body by science is a very good book and Dr. McGuff's explanations seem sound. Our traditional chronic exercise routines (yes, i do them) are definitely not primal-It would have been dangerous to expend the limited energy on constant muscle recovery and glycogen reloading. As we don't live in times of limited resources, this isn't a problem although I often question the health benefits of chronic physical over-stress (although I still do it). Dr. McGuff's ideas (very much a Mike Mentzer philosophy-not new) resolve this-consistent hard but non frequent training. I do a big 5 (often a big 8) workout in my weekly routine along with two other less intense free weight workouts. Is is too much-I don't know. Maybe I'll give the every 7 day training a try here soon.

madMUHHH Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@tman: Pretty much the same here. I'm into the 4th chapter of BBS and I think everything in the book makes a lot of sense. But I simply cannot swith over to only going to the gym once a week. It just doesn't feel right, but it probably IS right.

This is probably the single biggest concern people have with the book.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast