Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any other books I should be looking at? page 4

Miriam Guest

Primal Fuel

Just finished reading Primal Body-Primal Mind, really is a must read, it made a lot of sense to me and hopefully will solve some of the hormonal issues I have been having.

Tonight I start Sweet Poison and then finish off GCBC (bit heavy going for cold winter nights!)

maba is offline Senior Member

I'm reading NeanderThin - thanks for the reco Tarlach! - it's a quick read and gives you a gist of why you should avoid Neolithic foods. Will make for a good introduction to people who to give Paleo a try.

kam904s is offline Member

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a glycemic-index/glycemic-load guidebook on amazon. I'm pregnant (23 weeks) and obese so I need to take the transition to primal eating habits very slowly. I figured a good way to start would be learning about the glycemic index in additional to the overall primal philosophy.

maba is offline Senior Member

@kam904s, Congratulations on your pregnancy! Everytime someone here says they are pregnant, this is the link I share:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/dietformothers.html

No idea on GI books, sorry.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I can see why you're thinking GI - I did the same - but really it doesn't quite match up/fit.

In my case, my thinking was "ok, no grains, and to be low carb I should now look at veggies i.e. go for cabbage not carrots".

However in your (wonderful!) condition I think that might be too much work / sudden change so I honestly wouldn't bother.

Just cut the grains and potatoes, see how you feel.

The carbs left in veggies are in such small amounts that they are pretty much insignificant on any counting scale. If you're not sure, compare GI with GL (glycaemic load) - they kinda shot themselves in the foot there. If I recall correctly, the best example was carrots in that the *type* of carb they contained was high/med GI, but there was so little of it that its GL is in fact low...

So if you did want to look into this further I'd suggest concentrating on glycaemic LOAD not GI.

Be aware that dairy is debated, but that is for you to decide on in a few months time.

Good luck and good health

Travis G Guest

I think I saw it mentioned already, but Eat Stop Eat is an amazing book.

Boog23 Guest

Great posts. Also check out this video of a talk called "The Bitter Truth" by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. It's about and hour and a half long, but he's a good speaker and it's worth hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Geoff is offline Member

I'll give a shout out to Dr. Phil Maffetone's "In Fitness and in Health" here. Dr. Phil (no, not THAT one) is somewhat more tolerant of carbs and somewhat less tolerant of weight lifting and sprinting (at least at the outset) than "The Primal Blueprint." Still, it's a good compliment to "The Primal Blueprint" because of the primacy he puts on healthful vegetables, healthful fats, healthful proteins, and slow aerobic movement. The explanations and real life examples from his work with elite athletes like Mark Allen and ordinary people are illuminating at how transformative it can be to reprogram our genes for enhanced fat burning.

That said, I much prefer "The Primal Blueprint." It's more complete, speaks in a voice that resonates with me, and, dammit, it's a more entertaining read.

kam904s is offline Member

Thank you!

Dream Guest

On my blog (click my name) you can view my favorite books by clicking the resources tab at the top of the page. Up there is of course, The Primal Blueprint. Also have Body by Science, another favorite.

One that has not been mentioned here however is a lesser known book titled "Moment Arm Exercise". The book is incredible- it's topic is the overlooked biomechanics of exercise. Seriously good read...

He also has some videos on youtube @

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty_Fjh-yXB4

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKgDClJBSps

Really cool stuff.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234