Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being a good customer pays! page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Being a good customer pays!

Shop Now
    I just want to put a word out to tell ya how worthwhile it is to make friends with your local farmers.

When my Amish neighbors moved I was in a scramble to find a new egg supplier, NOT wanting to go back to buying eggs from the grocery store. With some searching I found a farm in the area that was still selling eggs through the winter. I gave the eggs a try and they were really good. From that point on I got into the routine of buying 10 dozen at a time, every 6 weeks or so. The couple are really great and the wife and I share ideas, recipes, etc.

Well today when I went to pick up my eggs the husband suggested next time I pick up my eggs they'll give them to me half price! That's $1/dozen for pastured, organic eggs.

So get out there, get to know your farmers! Make connections, make friends, be a good loyal customer. They'll take good care of you.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post

Well today when I went to pick up my eggs the husband suggested next time I pick up my eggs they'll give them to me half price! That's $1/dozen for pastured, organic eggs.
    Wait ... you're saying that you normally get pastured, organic eggs for $2/dozen? HOLY CRAP! I pay more for grocery store eggs - I think even cage-free non-organic at Trader Joe's are $2.39. Getting into organic eggs gets you up towards $3/$3.50. If I want pastured eggs, at my local farmer's market they're $6/dozen and up.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Wait ... you're saying that you normally get pastured, organic eggs for $2/dozen? HOLY CRAP! I pay more for grocery store eggs - I think even cage-free non-organic at Trader Joe's are $2.39. Getting into organic eggs gets you up towards $3/$3.50. If I want pastured eggs, at my local farmer's market they're $6/dozen and up.
    She lives in the middle of upper NY farmland, you live in ....oakland lolz , CA farm & business regulations & taxes help drive up your price
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    She lives in the middle of upper NY farmland, you live in ....oakland lolz , CA farm & business regulations & taxes help drive up your price
    Yup. Still jealous!

I have a coworker who raises back yard chickens (in Oakland) and she's offered free eggs to me a couple of times, but it's not a regular thing and she's got enough family and friends to share with that I'm pretty far down on the list. The two times I did get them they sure were yummy.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Wow, great Karma shining down on you!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Way to go DR, what a score!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Sweet. Awesome hookup you have there. Grocery store eggs here are more than $1/dozen.

I got a free bag of suet last time I got some grassfed beef (tongue, heart, liver and oxtails!)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic! I am paying $5.50 a dozen at our farmer's market...

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    I am paying $2 a dozen without the slightest complaint, but I would dance if I got them for $1! I just started buying from this guy about a month and a half ago (my mom got rid of hers *cry*) so hopefully we can build up a good relationship. I buy 6 doz a week, so I am sure I give him good business =)
    Now I just need to make friends with someone at the game processing plant

lars1000 is offline Member
    Wow great deal.. I'm dropping $7.00/Dozen here in Silicon Valley... and I'm always nice to my pastured food purveyors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast