Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being a good customer pays!

Being a good customer pays!

Shop Now
    I just want to put a word out to tell ya how worthwhile it is to make friends with your local farmers.

When my Amish neighbors moved I was in a scramble to find a new egg supplier, NOT wanting to go back to buying eggs from the grocery store. With some searching I found a farm in the area that was still selling eggs through the winter. I gave the eggs a try and they were really good. From that point on I got into the routine of buying 10 dozen at a time, every 6 weeks or so. The couple are really great and the wife and I share ideas, recipes, etc.

Well today when I went to pick up my eggs the husband suggested next time I pick up my eggs they'll give them to me half price! That's $1/dozen for pastured, organic eggs.

So get out there, get to know your farmers! Make connections, make friends, be a good loyal customer. They'll take good care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post

Well today when I went to pick up my eggs the husband suggested next time I pick up my eggs they'll give them to me half price! That's $1/dozen for pastured, organic eggs.
    Wait ... you're saying that you normally get pastured, organic eggs for $2/dozen? HOLY CRAP! I pay more for grocery store eggs - I think even cage-free non-organic at Trader Joe's are $2.39. Getting into organic eggs gets you up towards $3/$3.50. If I want pastured eggs, at my local farmer's market they're $6/dozen and up.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Wait ... you're saying that you normally get pastured, organic eggs for $2/dozen? HOLY CRAP! I pay more for grocery store eggs - I think even cage-free non-organic at Trader Joe's are $2.39. Getting into organic eggs gets you up towards $3/$3.50. If I want pastured eggs, at my local farmer's market they're $6/dozen and up.
    She lives in the middle of upper NY farmland, you live in ....oakland lolz , CA farm & business regulations & taxes help drive up your price
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    She lives in the middle of upper NY farmland, you live in ....oakland lolz , CA farm & business regulations & taxes help drive up your price
    Yup. Still jealous!

I have a coworker who raises back yard chickens (in Oakland) and she's offered free eggs to me a couple of times, but it's not a regular thing and she's got enough family and friends to share with that I'm pretty far down on the list. The two times I did get them they sure were yummy.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Wow, great Karma shining down on you!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Awesome! Way to go DR, what a score!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Sweet. Awesome hookup you have there. Grocery store eggs here are more than $1/dozen.

I got a free bag of suet last time I got some grassfed beef (tongue, heart, liver and oxtails!)

Fantastic! I am paying $5.50 a dozen at our farmer's market...

I am paying $2 a dozen without the slightest complaint, but I would dance if I got them for $1! I just started buying from this guy about a month and a half ago (my mom got rid of hers *cry*) so hopefully we can build up a good relationship. I buy 6 doz a week, so I am sure I give him good business =)
    Now I just need to make friends with someone at the game processing plant

Shop Now
    Wow great deal.. I'm dropping $7.00/Dozen here in Silicon Valley... and I'm always nice to my pastured food purveyors