Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu vaccinations page

Suse is offline Senior Member

Flu vaccinations

Primal Fuel
    This year I've decided not to have a flu jab. Other years I have had one, mainly because I am an asthmatic and last year I had one because of all the hoo-ha over the swine flu doing the rounds.

My asthma has all but disappeared though and I feel pretty healthy all round. I put this down to regular D3 and fish oil supplementing and a reasonable sort of diet - still the occasional bread and slip ups though. Gut health is way improved which i understand is the first line of immune defense.

What are peoples thoughts on flu jabs, and why or why not to have one...

If my immune system is strong, if I do happen to get a flu virus, would it be more likely that I'll recover quicker.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i haven't had one in forever. I would say, yeah. . .

last time i was vaccinated was for yellow fever and hep A, B, C so that I could travel to africa -- that was in 2000. Otherwise, I don't vaccinate myself. And I don't vaccinate my kid either.

I'm not anti-vaccine, per se. I do think it has it's uses and benefits. But, i don't see the need for a regular flu vaccine. I think they are great for at-risk populations, though.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    According to CW, I'm one of the at-risk population because I'm in my 60s, but I've never had a flu shot and don't plan to anytime soon.

JenniferK is offline Junior Member
    Ok, I REALLY want to hear what folks have to say about this topic!

I too skipped the flu vaccine this year Ė Iíve got an autoimmune disease and Iíve been primal for about 4 years, but last year I had a nasty flare of my disease from around Thanksgiving (about the time I got the vaccine) through late spring. I wondered if the flu jab had something to do with that (by ramping my immune system into over-drive), so I skipped the vaccine this year, even though Iím on an immunosuppressant and technically, CW says Iím one of those that Ďmustí get the vaccine.

And then in Feb my life got busy and crazy and stressy, but I gritted my teeth and pushed through work-outs when I probably should have taken it easy - and I got the flu. (Of COURSE I started getting sick the FIRST DAY of the only long weekend my mom could come up from Houston for a visit, and I was sick as a DOG on the couch for the last two days of her visit, grrrrr).

On the other hand, I was really only Ďbadí sick for a few days (and had my first ever experience with laryngitis) and in a week I was back to normal. Aaaaand I havenít had a rheumatoid flare since the one last year. So Iím really conflicted about what to do come flu season next year.

So, what have other people experienced with this?
    A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for. ~John A. Shedd

Suse is offline Senior Member
    ah yes the "at risk" population!! of which I was one (because of the asthma). So now I dont feel that I am... at risk that is. Of course we are all at risk of getting a virus but I guess some more than others.

Anyone here who can chime in on how a virus actually works? Lets say 2 people sit in a room with a sick person (with the flu). Would both get it or only the person who may not have a good immune system? This is still all a bit of a mystery to me!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    No way! I'm much happier to rely on my Vitamin D--haven't been sick in almost 18 months--since I started supplementing.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, i consider 'at risk' people to be people who would likely die if they got the flu.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I turn autistic for a few months after getting vaccinated, so no, thank you.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    we are over-vaccinated. No one dies of the flu, they die from complications of it. If you get THAT frickin sick, don't die, go to the hospital. If my hospital becomes one of those police state hospitals that requires it's employees to get the flu shot I will develop an allergy to eggs.
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

el_barto is offline Junior Member
    I get one and I don't fall into the "at risk" category. I

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast