Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GAPS Support Thread page

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member

GAPS Support Thread

Hey all, I started the GAPS intro diet today to try and heal my food allergies, and just figured I'd put up this thread for anyone else who's doing GAPS too. How's it going so far? Challenges? Successes?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Ok so far, although I'm skipping out on intro now. I started it, did really well for a couple days, then started to get crazy die-off symptoms. So, I added back in some sugar free bacon, fried eggs, and just now I had one Larabar. Still totally primal, and Full GAPS safe, but not intro. I figure as long as I'm careful about everything else I eat, I should be ok. I probably won't do another Larabar anytime soon, the carbs from the dates and the apples are giving me a sugar headache. I don't want die-off to happen too fast since I'm still nursing, and my son was having some crankiness that I'm attributing to die-off, so I definitely needed to slow down die-off.

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    I just did a huge shopping trip, but my allergies have been acting up (getting way more restrictive), I think I'll start in May when I have a few days off of work and school, die-off is awful. Good luck girls!!

apple is offline Senior Member
    I'm considering starting, to relieve Crohn's disease. Any thing you know of to relieve die-off symptoms that are still within the realm of the intro phase? Not looking forward to that....
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

I don't know much yet about how to minimize die-off symptoms, although I'll be looking it up as the headache and fogginess is coming on! I just found this post about die-off relief baths, and I also hear that you can go reeeeeeally slowly with the probiotics to minimize die-off symptoms. I'm starting with no supplemental probiotic, just a bit of sauerkraut juice and maybe a few Tbsps of ginger carrots.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    How ru guys doing GAPs? I ask because the book is hard to buy and is out of print, from what I understand. I'm talking about Natasha Campbell-McBride's book. Are you doing it through an online course (there is one offered)? Through information on the Web site?

Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    I don't know much yet about how to minimize die-off symptoms, although I'll be looking it up as the headache and fogginess is coming on! I just found this post about die-off relief baths, and I also hear that you can go reeeeeeally slowly with the probiotics to minimize die-off symptoms. I'm starting with no supplemental probiotic, just a bit of sauerkraut juice and maybe a few Tbsps of ginger carrots.

I have NCM's book, and there's a new edition out that I think is available through Amazon.com. I'm using my book, plus the website www.gapsdiet.com, the Yahoo group, and the blog at www.gapsguide.com.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    The book is back in stock here: Gut and Psychology Syndrome | GAPS Diet

I haven't bought it yet, I'm going entirely on the info I've gleaned online and from the yahoo group. I'm still feeling quite good, with minimal gas issues and a lot less die off today now that I added some things back in. From what I understand, you can expect some die off early on, but as long as you go really slow adding in probiotics and probiotic foods, you should be able to control it. The fact that we're already low-carb no grains no legumes helps a lot, because you don't get low carb "flu" on top of die-off.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    The GAPS diet is one of the best things I did to help heal my body. I developed allergies to so many groups of foods, basically I was down to meat and veggies. Now, I've got everything back, within moderation, and am working with a chinese medicine doctor to heal the last bit. Now I eat on the Primal/Perfect Health diet spectrum.

To minimize die-off, I recommend full GAPS for at least a month (if transitioning from a conventional diet) and then transitioning to the Intro. Combine the diet with the right supplements and some movement and you'll be much better within the year.

By the way, I lived in Sacramento until 3 years ago. :-)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    jkr, congratulations on healing your food allergies! That's what I hope to do. Too bad you don't live here anymore.

I started the intro diet yesterday, and now I'm thinking I might as well stick with it rather than move to full GAPS and then back to intro. Am I in for a world of hurt?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast