Thread: Maintenance Workouts page

Thumbs up Maintenance Workouts

Primal Fuel
    A couple of weeks ago I decided to try a little experiment. Since I've been primal (september 2010), I've been basically following PB fitness mixed with a little yoga. I decided I was satisfied with the results I've gained (9% bf, six-pack, lean muscle etc.) & turned my focus onto simple maintenance routines. I simply do 1 short, intense session of one workout 5 days a week when I wake up & 1 or 2 days of walking (previously i was doing 4 or 5 30-45 intense sessions of strength training & 1 light cardio per week). Today I simply did 3 sets of pullups to failure & I was done. I alternate between pullups, pushups, crows, dive bombers, squats, chinups, & grok hangs. I consume on average between 2,000 & 2,500 calories per day I find that my body composition has been the same if not better. Anyone else have a similar scenario that can compare? Can it have more to do with my genes?
    -Connoisseur Guy

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Speaking strictly body composition, I think its entirely possible to workout ONCE a week (using ANY style of training, really) and “maintain” the way you look through the way you eat.

Our mainstream culture figures it like this: People want to eat whatever they want, so they must in turn work themselves to death to “even out the score” or “balance out calories” or whatever. This sort of “works” you can see plenty of cases where people (mostly guys) consume whatever they want, because they’re doing mindless activities such as 2 hours on the elliptical or something such as that.

Some primal/paleo folks see it like this: 80% of your body composition will come from food. If you eat sensibly paleo/primal (therefore sort of low carb) then you need NOT do strenuous physical activity in order to lose weight or maintain current weight. Since we are eating for sustenance and nourishment and we typically tend to not over-eat, we don’t have to run ourselves to the ground to create a calorie deficit and thusly lose weight, or to maintain what we have.

In your case, you could probably get away with not exercising at all provided you kept your food intake similar. I don’t know your history, but you look like a naturally skinny guy in your avatar. I’m going to assume you’re a “hard gainer” but if you were once considerably over-weight then this would trump my theory that your genes play a large part in this.

What you talk about doesn’t work too well in terms of performance, but that’s a different story.

I think you may be crediting your “maintenance workouts” with your body comp staying the same when you should give the nod to your diet instead.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    No matter where I'm at, I'll always want to be stronger, faster, more flexible, etc...

iniQuity,

Thanks for the informative reply. I'm leaning towards your point as well. In all honesty I'm a little more concerned with proper nutrition & longevity. I do & always will have goals for increasing strength & endurance, though it is simply not my MO.
    -Connoisseur Guy

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, your not doing "maintanance", as much as trading out one type of activity for another that you like more. Bodyweight sets to failure sounds like you are creating a pretty good metabolic disturbance. Goes with the whole "Pick something you enjoy" philosophy regarding exercise

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Speaking strictly body composition, I think its entirely possible to workout ONCE a week (using ANY style of training, really) and “maintain” the way you look through the way you eat.
    This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I split the PBF workout into one set, 2 days/week. I am progressing though--finding it fun to tackle the challenge of a pistol squat, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Destroyer View Post
    In my opinion, your not doing "maintanance", as much as trading out one type of activity for another that you like more. Bodyweight sets to failure sounds like you are creating a pretty good metabolic disturbance. Goes with the whole "Pick something you enjoy" philosophy regarding exercise
    Good point!
    -Connoisseur Guy

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Body composition, as has already been said, doesn't have a huge amount to do with your workout. And maintenance is actually far easier than most people think. I suppose the main question is - why maintenance?