Thread: Barefoot Walking page

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member

Barefoot Walking

Shop Now
    The lengths I had to go to in order to try this, lol. I live in the suburbs, no open spaces around here to walk, but I wanted to give it a try. I live in GA, so walking on the pavement isn't really much of an option. Hot asphalt? So, I decided the only place I could really do this was at the gym, though I know I'd be kicked out for using the treadmill with nothing on my feet.

I settled for walking in my socks, and, though I wasn't exactly feeling the earth under my feet, it was different in a good way until I took a break at 45 minutes and noticed the soles of my feet hurt like crazy! I guess I'll need to build up some calluses, lol.

I had to put my shoes back on at that point, but that actually gave me the chance to judge the difference in the two. Barefoot walking does have a very different feel than wearing shoes which I found to be kind of pleasant. I'll see if I can build up my calluses and do more of this!
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Buffalo Chip is offline Member
    I love going barefoot and basically only wear shoes when I have to, which is basically anytime I go walking on the sidewalk near my house due to glass, dog turds and so on.

I enjoy backpacking and often wanted to try a barefoot hike, but I don't think my feet could take it (we're talking carrying 40# or so, and walking 7 or 8 miles over rocks and other obstacles). When I do go backpacking, though, and make camp, as soon as I take off my pack I also take off my boots so while making camp and lounging I am always barefoot. There's just something so sensual and enjoyable about feeling the moss and leaves and sticks under my feet and between my toes. On shorter hikes when I am not carrying a ton of gear, I will often go barefoot as well for the same reasons.

Sure, occasionally I will step on a sharp stick and have an "ow" moment, but it comes with the territory.

I also have pretty heavy callouses on my feet, probably from wearing shoes less frequently than most people.