Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Night-Shade Free: How Would You Replace Hot Sauce? page

choppedliver is offline Senior Member

Going Night-Shade Free: How Would You Replace Hot Sauce?

Primal Fuel
    I'm trying to avoid all nightshade vegetables since I have an autoimmune condition. I don't have too much problems in avoiding bellpeppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants ... as long as I still have onions.

Now, how would you replace the hot pepper sauce that I used to indulge in: like the Tabasco sauce, Frank's hot sauce, or Louisiana hot sauce. Those are all hot peppers with vinegar.

I know that I can use some turmeric, rosemary and thyme, black peppers, garlic, etc. But are there any hot and salty spices that can substitute for the hot sauce? All I can think of is Tamari's gluten-free soy sauce. But anything hot that's nightshade free?

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    totally different kind of heat, but horseradish/wasabi
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Ginger has some heat too. Mustard is kind of obvious.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting ready to do this too and very worried because I'm a heat (texas Pete, cayenne, etc) freak.

Mustard has paprika and should be eliminated as I understand.

Anyone know of a mustard brand without nightshades?

Thanks!

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    I'm just going to geek out, but this will help you

Pungency (i.e. heat) generally comes from three different types of molecules. There's the isothiocyanates from the cabbage family (mustard, horseradish and wasabi). There's also the sulphur-containing volatiles, like allicin, in the onion family (onion, garlic). And then there's the alkylamides, from a variety of families, including chilli, black pepper, ginger and Sichuan pepper. As large molecules, alkylamides won't travel into the nose unless the food is hot (or unless you inhale the powder), in contrast with the other two classes.

Therefore, to best replicate the pungency of capsaicin (from chilli), you should look at the other alkylamides like piperine (from black pepper, long pepper); zingiberne, gingerol and shogaol (from ginger, tumeric and grains of paradise); and sanshool (from Sichuan pepper). They have very different binding affinities and times, so will give different pungencies and duration; capsaicin is about 100 times more pungent than piperine. And sanshool is just weird, producing a tingly and numbing pungency.

All of this was basically a long way of saying, you're never going to be able to replicate chilli, but you'll come closest if you look into using peppercorns and ginger.

As another geeky aside, if you want a liquid source (or sauce), I suggest you milk some tarantulas.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    great answer!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    I'm getting ready to do this too and very worried because I'm a heat (texas Pete, cayenne, etc) freak.

Mustard has paprika and should be eliminated as I understand.

Anyone know of a mustard brand without nightshades?

Thanks!
    Make your own...it isnt that hard. Might take some playing around to get exactly what you want.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    wasabi is hot, and I believe it is horseradish, so not a nightshade, but this is just a guess
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    You can make a hot sauce by soaking Black pepper grains in alcohol (ei: Gin, Whisky, Slibovich). for a few months. (It may also work with vinegar)

You can then blend this hot alcohol with a veggie paste made of spinach or carrots.

You also might want to have a look at Indian spices. There are a lot of hot spices used in Indian Cuisine (such as curry). I'm sure you can get some recommendations from someone who cooks this kind of foods.

You can also use the berries of the pepper tree. They are the red pepper grain we sometimes find in a 4 pepper mix which has black, white, red and green peppers.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Curry is a blend of spices. The hot Indian recipes I've seen use capsicums for the heat.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 04-11-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast