Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - A Primer ( Part 1 ) page 3

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The OP is brilliant. Well written, funny and informative.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Good post. Thank's a lot.

Just one thought as I was reading threw it though

[Quote]In modern society, the word has been co-opted and transformed from a functional definition into a cultural one where breakfast is your morning meal, generally consumed before heading off to work. I expect that this arose as a consequence of industrialisation given that factories thrive on predictability and conformity.[Quote\]

I actually think it caught on so well because, as we know, society are primarily high carb/sugar junkies, mostly without even knowing it due to lack of good information, and so they require a big morning boost/insulin spike to send them on their way otherwise they would not function well at all. I think this is why "breakfast" caught on and is so important from the conventionals standpoint.

But for those few who eat "primely" the need for this morning insulin boost is almost zero hence this whole breakfast thing hardly matters, in fact it can be counterproductive.

Hello everyone.
    Last edited by Ollie; 05-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    1) superb presentation 2) very much look forward to subsequent installments 3) i also want the t-shirt

Room13 is offline Junior Member
    ...great post, I'm relatively new to IF, have done several so far. Thanks for the post.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I was just thinking the other day that someone should do this...
    Thanks!

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Hi.

Thanks! Great job! I'm away to read part 2.

Oh, and I seem to remember Uri Hofmekler discussing rT3 in Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat.

Health Divas Guest
    Dear PK,

Fantastic summary. BTW, I also think that Sean Connery is the best of the Bonds!
    Last edited by Health Divas; 04-22-2013 at 01:44 PM.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Just my 2 cents... living in a predominantly Muslim country I've done the Ramadan fasting and seen the results with others.

Regardless of what studies may say, in my own first-hand experience most people find that actually GAIN weight during Ramadan.

Also, and this is considered almost required and NOT cheating, most Muslims stuff themselves silly in the hour or so before technical 'dawn'. So it's not just one big meal at night time, it's a biggish meal in the morning too.

Hope that helps?

Another aspect is that there's an awful lot of family and friends visiting, you visit them, they visit you and it all goes round in circles. Those visiting times invariably involve cookies, cakes, rice-cake nibbly things and other sweet treats, not to mention fructose-laden drinks...

Net result for most people is about 2-6lb gained for the month.

AC

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Just my 2 cents... living in a predominantly Muslim country I've done the Ramadan fasting and seen the results with others.

Regardless of what studies may say, in my own first-hand experience most people find that actually GAIN weight during Ramadan.

Also, and this is considered almost required and NOT cheating, most Muslims stuff themselves silly in the hour or so before technical 'dawn'. So it's not just one big meal at night time, it's a biggish meal in the morning too.

Hope that helps?

Another aspect is that there's an awful lot of family and friends visiting, you visit them, they visit you and it all goes round in circles. Those visiting times invariably involve cookies, cakes, rice-cake nibbly things and other sweet treats, not to mention fructose-laden drinks...

Net result for most people is about 2-6lb gained for the month.

AC
    Good that you posted this, which goes to show you that IF is not a work of magic that should allow you to eat whatever you want. By keeping the calories within reason and eating Primal you will, more often than not, achieve the opposite effect of that which you just described.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123