Thread: Kid-friendly bento boxes? page

JanuaryEmber is offline Senior Member

Kid-friendly bento boxes?

Shop Now
    I purchased two laptop lunchboxes for my kids (ages 5 and 10) and the opening latch is too difficult for my 5 year old to open. he tries and tries and cannot get it open himself. The faculty at the school isn't very helpful during lunch time so he needs to be able to open his lunchbox himself.

Does anyone have any kid-friendly recommendations for reusable lunch boxes?
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How about a tupperware container with a big lip on the lid?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Korean 'lock & lock' brand is phenomenal. there are four latches though-- they're very easy (they just pop open) but it might frustrate him. I have heaps of bentos and experience with many more, so send me a message and when I get home from work tonight I'll go more in depth!

Little Saiyan

Hmm after quite a lot of searching online I found one very similar to what I bought, but with easier latches! They are called Go Green Lunch Boxes. Unless I find something better than these, I think this is the way I will go. Or maybe I will go with the 'easylunchboxes'...
    Last edited by JanuaryEmber; 04-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    We have the easylunchboxes and LOVE them! The kids take their lunch in them every day and hubbie also uses his often or uses the insulated bag with a salad bowl with clip on lid.
    My 3 year old asks for his lunch to be put in one of the boxes even when we are at home. All of mine (ages 3 to 10 and middle one has ASD) can easily open and close them.

Only downside we have found is that the lids don't secure tightly enough to completely securely hold more liquid items (yoghurt, juicy fruits etc). For yoghurt I just use some individual mini jelly molds with plastic lids that I found. Hubbie just puts a small piece of cling film over his yoghurt and find that works fine. The kids just tend to throw their bags around too much for that to be safe enough.

The insulated bags are a nice size. My kids usually take one box plus a snack and their water bottles and it all fits nicely in the bag. You can also easily stack several boxes in the bags for family days out. The boxes wash nicely in the dishwasher with no warping (major plus compared to other cheaper alternatives I have tried) and when the bags have been really yucky (think spilt yoghurt and left in a school bag for a long weekend...blurgh!!) they have been through a gentle machine wash with no problem.
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Quote Originally Posted by mummybeelee View Post
    We have the easylunchboxes and LOVE them! The kids take their lunch in them every day and hubbie also uses his often or uses the insulated bag with a salad bowl with clip on lid.
    My 3 year old asks for his lunch to be put in one of the boxes even when we are at home. All of mine (ages 3 to 10 and middle one has ASD) can easily open and close them.

Only downside we have found is that the lids don't secure tightly enough to completely securely hold more liquid items (yoghurt, juicy fruits etc). For yoghurt I just use some individual mini jelly molds with plastic lids that I found. Hubbie just puts a small piece of cling film over his yoghurt and find that works fine. The kids just tend to throw their bags around too much for that to be safe enough.

The insulated bags are a nice size. My kids usually take one box plus a snack and their water bottles and it all fits nicely in the bag. You can also easily stack several boxes in the bags for family days out. The boxes wash nicely in the dishwasher with no warping (major plus compared to other cheaper alternatives I have tried) and when the bags have been really yucky (think spilt yoghurt and left in a school bag for a long weekend...blurgh!!) they have been through a gentle machine wash with no problem.
    Thank you so much for replying with this! I am glad to hear they work so well. I doubt I would put much liquid or juicy things in his lunch, but if I do I have some small gelatin mold containers with lids he can use. He has to take a snack every day so the carry bag and extra trays will be pretty perfect for his lunch and snack foods. (Plus will be handy for my husband to get one for taking to work!)

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any experience with either, but I'm actually thinking of getting a really cool bento box myself

Take a look at JBox and (unless this is the one you already have?) LaptopLunches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    I don't have any experience with either, but I'm actually thinking of getting a really cool bento box myself

Take a look at JBox and (unless this is the one you already have?) LaptopLunches.
    The laptoplunches are the ones I already have. The latch on the plastic box isn't very kid-friendly. I could do it no problem, as can my 10 year old, but not my 5 year old. I'm worried about any container than is so well sealed though he has to tip it sideways or upsidedown to open, thus spilling it allover the table, which I can totally see him doing lol

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Paper bag? I've reused them before.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.