Thread: Grokkin' on the Go! page

Grokkin' on the Go!

Primal Fuel
    I need some help planning! Next month, I'm studying abroad in New Zealand for 19 days with a group of classmates. While there, we're visiting many different universities to study their educational system. This means that our schedules are pretty well laid-out. While there will be free time built in, I'm not sure how much I'll get.

I definitely want to go into this with a plan. I love being Primal, and I am fully committed to this lifestyle. In the past, I would have seen vacations as an excuse to go off plan and eat crappy foods. But Primal is a lifestyle, not a plan. I'm not "going off" my lifestyle! That being said, sticking to Primal won't be easy when I'm travelling...especially since I'm travelling with a group. I plan to enjoy myself as much as possible and try new foods, but I'm going to keep my Primal way of life in focus.

So here are my concerns:

1. Eating during actual travel. I'm spending over two days on travel alone. I leave Ohio first thing in the morning, getting in LA in mid-afternoon, leave LA at 10pm, and get into New Zealand a full day later. I can obviously pack primal snacks, but I will need a full meal at some point. Not only do I need to contend with dreaded airport food, but on the trip to NZ, I'll be eating airplane food for multiple meals. Suggestions? Also, I cannot bring any food into NZ with me, so I don't want to overpack.

2. Of a slightly less concern are the meals I'll be eating in NZ. Since I'm travelling with a group, I'll be left to the group's whim about places to grab some grub. In these instances, I'll just have to choose the most primal food from the menu. I think my biggest issue here will be breakfast on the go. If this is anything like my study abroad experience in Italy, I was left to my own devices for breakfast. There, I ate granola bars every day. Obviously, those are out now. What's a good Primal breakfast on the go? (Note: I likely won't have access to a kitchen.) Some days I'll be able to IF and skip breakfast without a problem, but I do have some very hungry mornings.

3. Primal Fitness. This is probably my biggest concern. I'm pretty sure we'll be doing lots of walking, which is great. Depending on how early our schedules start in the AM, I plan to wake up early and go for walks not only for fitness, but also to do some sight-seeing. Nothing beats catching the sunrise in a new country. What I am concerned about is my strength training. ST is very important to me, and I will cry if I have to go 19 days without doing it. I will not have access to a gym or any sort of equipment. Any recommendations on good substitutions that will keep me challenged? For reference, here's what my fitness routine looks like now:

-4-miles of walk/jog intervals- 6 days per week.
    -One-hour long-walk with the BF- 4 days per week.
    -Back squats (currently squatting w/80lbs)- 3 days per week
    -Arm workouts (rows, military press, pull-downs, bench press)- 3 days per week (My upper body is too weak for pull-ups)
    -Sprints- One day per week.

Sorry for the long post! Any advice is appreciated!
    -Krystal

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Could you try and use the gyms at the universities you are visiting?

I would get myself some salami/cured meats and nuts for breakfast. Cheese maybe? Visit the supermarket!

Google the towns you are visiting and see what kind of restaurants they have. Check menus online and come up with a list of suggestions. You may end up being the group restaurant expert!

If you list out some of the places you are visiting maybe some of the locals will pop in to advise.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Fitness should actually be the least of your concerns. Can you do free-standing handstand pushups? One-handed? If not, then you've got some strength training you can do right there. You can't do one pullup yet? There's something else you can work at. How about pistol squats? Shrimps? How long can you hold a plank for? You don't need any special equipment for fitness -- just maybe a bar somewhere above your head.

As for your meals, if having a few meals with bread or granola in them over the course of 19 days were that harmful, all of us would be near death. Relax.
    Last edited by Grumpycakes; 04-10-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    When I take trips like that, I load up on nuts to carry on the plane, and lots of tuna steaks and smoked salmon that keeps at room temp. Beats airline food.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Mozzi- Unfortunately, we won't have access to the gyms there. I love your idea of cured meats for breakfast- thanks!

Grumpy- Wow...thanks for the suggestions! You listed a bunch of things I hadn't thought of before!

DFH- Smoked salmon is a great idea for dinner on the plane! That thought never even occurred to me. My brain was wrapped around fruits, nuts, and veggies. Thanks!

As for areas in NZ I'll be visiting:

Auckland, Rotorua, Palmerston North, Wellington, Kaikoura, Christchurch, Dunedin, and Queenstown. I would love recommendations from any NZ locals!
    -Krystal

pixel is offline Junior Member
    i travel a lot, so i dont want to lax while travelling.

any recommendation on jerkey or dried fish? my plan now is

pemmican when i have time to make some,
    primal bars when i have time to make them,
    jerkey and nuts,

and fruit at the airports.

airport sushi is way too expensive for me. if your lucky enough to find nuts, there almost always roasted in vegetable or peanut oil.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel View Post
    i travel a lot, so i dont want to lax while travelling.

any recommendation on jerkey or dried fish? my plan now is

pemmican when i have time to make some,
    primal bars when i have time to make them,
    jerkey and nuts,

and fruit at the airports.

airport sushi is way too expensive for me. if your lucky enough to find nuts, there almost always roasted in vegetable or peanut oil.
    It's best to find nuts raw before the trip, or from a healthy source.

I dont know if it qualifies as Primal, but Bumblebee and Star Kist have salmon in room-temp foil packs at most good markets. The only store I can find them in my town is Publix. They have tuna steaks too. I have done many trips to Europe loaded up with a big stash of those to eat on the plane, and for late night hungries in the hotel room.

When I'm travelling like that I like having food with me that is at least acceptable, so when I get hungry I'm not desperate to eat something nasty like a sandwich because that's all there is...

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I agree on taking raw nuts. Usually I bring a bag or two of raw macadamia nuts. And as for fitness you have your walking so that will be covered. But for strength training I would go with burpees. They work out a lot of major muscle groups and can be easily done in your hotel room and doesn't take any equipment or bars. These could be done when your significant others are getting ready.

Have fun!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.