Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting for the gimpy? page

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member

Question Sprinting for the gimpy?

Primal Fuel
    I'm not handicapped, but I do have trouble with my knee. About 10 years ago, I was involved in a very bad car accident. Basically, my left side was squished. Broken everything, and I've got titanium rods and plates holding me together. Since it's been so long, I'm certain all the healing has been done, but the doctors are never going to be able to remove the hardware.

It took me awhile to get over the depression of the changes, so much so that for years, I didn't work out. Period. I finally got over that and started lifting. Lifting has improved my abilities significantly. I used to be unable to use the stairs, the pain was so bad. Now I can walk up the stairs with a load of laundry, just like before my accident.

I read Mark's fitness plan, got very excited about it, started easy by doing a couple of 'play' days, where I just walked around the neighborhood for an hour or two. I did a 'lift heavy things' day on Friday, and it was AWESOME. I have been trying to figure out how to work my entire body without spending five hours in the gym, and, though I took a little longer than Mark indicated it would take (learning curve), I finished just drenched in sweat and feeling like I'd worked everything. If Mark had been there, he would've gotten a big, sweaty hug from an adoring fan. I loved it!

Today is the day I chose for my sprint day, and I ran into some problems there. I can't really run with my left leg. Too painful. The best I could do was a very fast-paced walk, about 4 mph with an incline of 12 (13 seems to be the max on the treadmill). I didn't make it ten minutes, but I can build up to that, no problem. Is what I chose to do for my sprint okay, or does anyone have any suggestions on an alternate? I really want to do this right; this is the kind of fitness plan I've been looking for.
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

The Japsican is offline Junior Member
    In my opinion, and take this for what it's worth because I'm a fellow newb, but the philosophy of "sprinting" is on the surface about running, but truly about sprinting from a cardiovascular and even a metabolic standpoint. In other words...run if you can, but in lieu of running, sprint by doing an activity that gets your heart racing, pumps blood, adequately (and safely) raises your BP, for a short amount of time. Also preferably getting your lower body muscles involved so as to include venous heart return from your lower extremities to move blood, and lymph back to the core of your body.

I think mark is suggesting to merely mock a cardio and metabolic sprint scenario, much like Grok might have needed to do when hunting, or faced with a fight or flight situation.

Examples of this:
    My number one: ROWING. We row in crossfit and doing a burst of 300+ Meter "sprint" is brutal. Try it, you'll see. Be sure to use your entire body, taking the bar all the way to the machine, push with your legs (Leg involvement) and pull back to your chest in sync with your legs. You'll see, the movement, when done right, gets your entire body involved especially your core and legs. Until crossfit, I thought rowing was for old men looking for a low-impact workout....boy was I wrong. I'd rather deadlift 300 lbs any day. Best of all, on most machines you can adjust resistance...

If you can tolerate the movement, try Jump Roping. It's a sprint...trust me. Do double unders with a speed rope (2 spins at a time). Double unders will take some time to master, but in trying to learn to do "Double Unders" you will get a great work out. To do so, pick a number (20reps, 30reps, 50, etc) and do a set for time. If you mess up, just count the time it takes to stop, reset, and get started again as part of the over all time. And then when you repeat a work out, attempt to beat your old time (Mistakes and all). When you get better, increase the number of reps you need to do..and time that. Beating your old time encourages the sprint. You'll see that Jump roping is a full body workout as well. (That's why all fighters, boxers, mma do it!)

Here's a link to my blog with some speed ropes:
    The Resolution: Speed Jump Ropes from "Again Faster" for Crossfit
    I purchase mine from Again Faster. I'm sure there are plenty of sources, but you really want to get the wire type ropes. I REALLY love mine.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by The Japsican; 04-10-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    Check out my blog: ANTHROfit

RobbieC is offline Member
    I've had the ACL reconstructed in both knees (10+ years ago). The left is good now. But my right knee has deteriorated significantly since, and the only surgery I have left is knee replacement. Running is almost impossible for me on most days.

For sprinting I instead do one of the following:

Rowing --- my C2 erg is the greatest piece of exercise machinery I have ever used. Brutal full body workout. Great for short sprinting sessions or some tabatta rowing.

Swimming --- During the summer season, I use our pool to do some sprinting laps.

Cycling --- I either put my bike on the indoor trainer and do sprints, or do some short hill sprints in our neighborhood.

Heavy bag --- 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest to replicate a match. Try to keep busy with lots of jabs and combinations, while moving continuously around the bag.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Unfortunately, right now, I'm a bit limited in what I can do, though there is the possibility that things may change as I build my muscles. I'm just not overly optimistic at this point, considering it's been 10 years and it still hurts my knee to run, lol.

I don't have access to a rowing machine, though I would actually love trying it at some point. I just don't want to invest money in a machine I'm not sure I can use. (BTDT with an elliptical machine... $1500 mistake, but one my MIL is currently enjoying, lol.) We *do* have a pool, so that might be useful in a couple months. I'll give it a try when we get our pool ready for summer.

When I first joined my gym, I tried cycling, but that was painful, too. Again, maybe I just need to build those muscles before I can do it without pain. It's frustrating, because not even the doctor can say for sure. Thanks, doc.

Japsican, I will try jump roping. Might work, might hurt, but my kids have a couple jump ropes I can use to find out. (And, yes, I really am that short.) Thanks for the suggestion. And RobbieC., my gym does have a heavy bag in a very low traffic area of the gym. I'll give that a try soon, too. Will I need to protect my hands, or will it be okay to use my bare fists?
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

js290 is offline Senior Member

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I have bone on bone arthritis and cerebral palsy. It took time, getting off grains and sugar, and lowering inflammation before my pain levels went down.

I also had to slowly work up to sprinting. And while some people feel that true sprinting is running, all out. I believe differently. I think doing anything that ramps up your heart rate and stresses you and your body for short intervals improves conditioning and health.

Thanks for that info, js290! Very interesting, and gives me hope, too!

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    How about doing rapid tummy crunches? The thing is to use big muscles, fast. Pushups against a bench? Combining any exercises you can comfortably do in rapid succession.

I have a resistance band - basically a length of tubing with handles on it (you can make your own with an old bike tube) - which I can do all sorts of light-resistance exercises with - I stand on it and do arm-curls for instance. They are maybe if you had something solid to hook it around, you could get enough resistance to get a decent row going. Actually I don't think you need loads of resistance for it to be effective.

Other than that, I wouldn't stress out overly about it - the main thing is that you're getting some physical workout of some sort, so you're already doing great.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I also had to slowly work up to sprinting. And while some people feel that true sprinting is running, all out. I believe differently. I think doing anything that ramps up your heart rate and stresses you and your body for short intervals improves conditioning and health.
    Actually, I think sprinting refers to anaerobic metabolism. The only way to run anaerobically is to do it all out.

Weird, geekgrrl. I was just thinking today about maybe using resistance bands to make up for not having a rowing machine. I know it's possible, just not sure if the 'sprinting' needs to be a total body workout. I don't suppose it matters if I use my arms or legs in an all out effort as long as I'm giving it my all. Now watch, the arm I thought was completely healed is going to start giving me crap. (I've got a titanium plate in my left arm that has never given me trouble.)

It would absolutely rock if I find that all these suggestions work for me and I get to choose from several different exercises for my sprint days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast