You know you're primal when you see marrow bones at the grocery 5 minutes from your house and squeal like a small child.
- My grandmother (and all her generation) kept a jar of bacon grease on the stove all the time. I do the same. It takes months for good fat to go bad at room temp, even in the summer in GA.
- People used to preserve things in fat, like duck confit & pemmican. Yumyumyumyumyumyum. (My farmer still does!)
- You just cooked everything in that base of that pan to an extremely high temperature.
- On our first long family trip driving cross-country & hitting national parks, we cooked on a camp stove with cast iron every morning (& eventually, dinner, too). We discovered that if we never washed the pan, it got more and more seasoned. It's hard to do otherwise at home now that we know we don't have to!
- We've been doing it at home for four years now. Not dead yet.
We rarely wash our iron. My mother would keel over just from knowing that. Even my bacon-grease grandma would have. She was from the Hygiene Generation and washed her dishes in Clorox. !!
5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***
You have your apple and banana with peanut butter because it's there and you ran out of almond butter, but it tastes gross.
You go for an hour long walk outside in 30 degree weather in jeans and a t-shirt and don't even realize you forgot your jacket until you reach your door at the end of it.
You play fetch/ ball with your dog (fed grain free), the neighbor kids, and their dog, and realize you last longer than all of 'em.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
My Latest Journal