Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oat Bran - Dukan diet page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

Oat Bran - Dukan diet

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I have been "primal" for a while, over a year with some times more primal than others. Just getting back on track after a long hiatus full of wheat. I felt the effects ten fold.

I was looking at the "Dukan diet" which is basically paleo - protien, low fat, low carb. The diet also has this one strange component of eating 1.5 tablespoons of Oat Bran every day during the first phase, and upping that to 2 and then 3 tablespoons in the subsequent phases.

I know Oat Bran is a grain....but all the literature out there says it is so good for us, lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control insulin spike etc. and that it helps make you thin.

Can I eat the oat bran????? I have had a great Primal day,

Coconut flour pancake, strawberries and hazelnuts

tuna salad with lot sof celery and greens, olives, pesto, sheeps milk cheese ( small amt), olive oil

flank steak, sauteed spinach and onion.

I just had the "oat bran" mixed with a couple of small kiwi's and a spoonful of yogurt as a "dessert" will I regret this?

camel is offline Senior Member
    Well, I guess oat bran isn't technically primal. But I've been using a tablespoon or two of oat bran to reduce my insulin levels. At least, that is what I've been reading:

Study: High beta-glucan oat bran and oat gum reduce postprandial blood glucose and insulin in subjects with and without type 2 diabetes.
    High beta-glucan oat bran and oat gum reduce postp... [Diabet Med. 1994] - PubMed result

I've also been reading that the special kind of 7 molecule sugar in avocados also inhibits the release of insulin, so I've been eating those too.

Thanks for the info. I did not read that study but I will, also, do you habe any tips on WHEN to eat the stuff? with a meal? before? after?

Thanks alot!

camel is offline Senior Member
    I mix it with an equal amount of water and add cinamon and heat it up to make a little porrige out of it, with a dab of cream. I eat it by itself, usually in the evening.

Someone else on here recommended chicory root instead of oat bran, because chicory root is primal and has good fiber etc in it. So I'm looking into that.

Great suggestion - thanks!! sounds likea good breakfast item, maybe together with eggs.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Jea 1-2 tbs of roasted chicory root would be the preferred primal option. In small amounts it is quite good. At least for those who have healed up from their previous diet. Some people don't stomach fiber very well.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Another point I would love any input on is the low fat aspect. Dukan really aims for low fat and avoidance of all pure forms of fat like oil and butter.

I know this is different from primal, but it has me wondering....anyone out there with any wisdom on the subject?

I eat alot of olive oil every dya, and it has me wondering if it is hindering further wieght loss.

Thanks,
    S

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I would like to see this Dukan guy's explanation of his scientific basis. Because he just kinda looks like... a charlatan with a fad diet.

Never should losing weight be anything other than a rocket ride to superb health and a loss of adipose tissue along the way. And so I say eat fat and lots of it. Ultra high protein diets are NOT sustainable long-term, and I think he lets people get back to a more normal diet eventually, but why not just work on health, hmm? Anyone who doesn't focus on metabolic health is a charlatan in my eyes.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I would like to see this Dukan guy's explanation of his scientific basis. Because he just kinda looks like... a charlatan with a fad diet.

Never should losing weight be anything other than a rocket ride to superb health and a loss of adipose tissue along the way. And so I say eat fat and lots of it. Ultra high protein diets are NOT sustainable long-term, and I think he lets people get back to a more normal diet eventually, but why not just work on health, hmm? Anyone who doesn't focus on metabolic health is a charlatan in my eyes.

I would love to know what you would recommend for me Stabby as I have recently found out I cannot metabolise fats properly. The result of eating a diet consisting of 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs ended in agony for me. I ended up with chronic stomach cramps, severe diarhea, nausea and vomiting and a trip to the doctors office.........

Digby is offline Senior Member
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast