Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So is this what grass-fed dairy looks like? page

Hilary is offline Senior Member

So is this what grass-fed dairy looks like?

The raw Guernsey dairy man was at the farmers' market today, so I bought cheese, milk and a pot of cream. I've had cream from this source before, and it's been rich and devour-straight-from-the-pot scrumptious and utterly unlike the white stuff from supermarkets. But this pot is almost solid, the consistency of well-whipped cream, and a deep, deep yellow colour. Wow.

All I can think is that the cows are eating spring grass and the carotenoid content of their milk has skyrocketed. So do you naturally get a different colour cream in spring? I had no idea.

(UK people - Home )

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Isn't that amazing?! I've even seen the yellow-ness of Kerrygold's (grass-fed) butter change!!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! When seasonality is apparent in your food, you are doing something right
    Little Saiyan

Dharma_Punk is offline Senior Member
    I too have noticed this in the butter. (Mmmm, Kerry gold salted butter, amazing stuff)
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    The raw Guernsey dairy man was at the farmers' market today, so I bought cheese, milk and a pot of cream. I've had cream from this source before, and it's been rich and devour-straight-from-the-pot scrumptious and utterly unlike the white stuff from supermarkets. But this pot is almost solid, the consistency of well-whipped cream, and a deep, deep yellow colour. Wow.

All I can think is that the cows are eating spring grass and the carotenoid content of their milk has skyrocketed. So do you naturally get a different colour cream in spring? I had no idea.

(UK people - Home )
    I buy from these guys too, but only in the spring and summer. They have really good milk, cream and yoghurt. For some reason I don't like their butter though....

What farmers market do you go to? I go to the one in Notting Hill Gate in London.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Oxford. I'm lucky that they come all the way from Somerset! I suppose I started buying from them last September or so, so this is my first Spring cream.

It's pretty bizarre that I've been enjoying dairy products for 38 years and have only just discovered this seasonal change. A 'welcome to the planet you live on' kind of moment.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup. milk, egg yolk color (more yellow in winter, more orange in summer), and we're even on a schedule of fruit availability now, too. interesting stuff.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    My farmer sells range hens, they're retired egg-layers. I pick them over the regular broilers even though the meat is so tough because the fat is a beautiful butter yellow -- I'm not exaggerating. The fat floating on top of the stockpot looks like olive oil. Normally I actually avoid poultry because of the high O6s (plus honestly I just prefer pork, beef, and lamb ), but I definitely make an exception for this stuff.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post

(UK people - Home )
    Yup
    And thanks for the link!

That cream is officially in the top 10 most amazing things ever eaten, along with roast venison and naturally ripened mangoes... and probably this should be another thread.

Re-free range chickens... bought one of those at the same market, roasted it, and y'day I picked all the remaining meat off the carcass. Couldn't help noticing this bird has muscles where the supermarket 'free range' variety has nothing of the kind. Interesting!

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wonderful, magical stuff, innit? =)
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast