Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas about how to sneak flax meal into your diet page

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member

Any ideas about how to sneak flax meal into your diet

Primal Fuel
    I want to have about 2 tbsp of flax meal a day, and I have been putting it with yogurt and berries, but I know I am lactose intolerant and want to try to eliminate the dairy. I need some ideas on what to add my flax meal to.

Typical day's meals are:

Scrambled eggs with bacon and sauteed tomato, mushroom and spinach for brunch

Meat and stir fried veggies for dinner

Berries for snack

Thanks for any ideas!

Karin
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

carlh is offline Senior Member
    1) throw it into curry powder with your meat and veggies dinner
    2) why are you eating flax?

JKC
    I want to up my omega 3:6 ratio - I live out in the boondocks where getting grass fed meat isn't going to happen
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Ground flax in smoothies is OK - and smoothies can be done with coconut milk. That way you don't have to heat it, which is all to the good. But you could also just replace some meat with oily fish.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I put it in any curries that I do as a thickener for sauce. Otherwise, like mentioned, smoothies would work.

JKC
    Thanks, guys, I am thinking of adding oily fish too - fresh salmon is horrendously expensive up here, but I am thinking maybe canned salmon and eggs rather than bacon and eggs.

Do you think that flax meal might be ok to add to scrambled eggs?
    Karin

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I actually like flax meal, but it is way down on the list of good sources of omega-3s. For a start, it only contains ALA, and conversion rates of ALA to DHA/EPA (the forms the body can use) are pretty variable.

Canned salmon is definitely the better way to go. It is delicious in eggs, and I also like to make salmon cakes (like crab cakes). I sautee some mirepoix in butter, add in a can of salmon, some old bay, a bit of mustard, and an egg. Then I form it into "cakes" and bake in the oven or fry in a pan until brown. Sardines are also marvelously healthy - I just have a hard time getting past the smell, haha.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    I actually like flax meal, but it is way down on the list of good sources of omega-3s. For a start, it only contains ALA, and conversion rates of ALA to DHA/EPA (the forms the body can use) are pretty variable.

Canned salmon is definitely the better way to go. .
    +1

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    You may want to check out Chris Kresser's article about why fish oil stomps flax as a source of omega 3. The sum of it? Your body only converts a small percentage of the short chain omega 3 that flax provides into the long chain omega 3 your body needs. So basically, ditch the flax, you aren't doing yourself any good with it. Chris also has a really good fish oil buyers guide. If you are worried about your omega 3 levels I'd suggest you get yourself a good fish oil. Also remember that there has been a shift in the paleo world recently based on the latest research that suggests being on high doses of omega 3 long term might not be all that good for you. You are much better off equalising your omega 3 / omega 6 balance with real foods, only grass fed beef and have wild caught fish a couple of times a week and you are good to go. If you are having to add additional omega 3s to your diet to balance things out, then you are doing something wrong. And if you are using flax thinking it will help balance out excessive omega 6s then you are in double trouble, cause it ain't helpin!
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

JKC
    Grass fed meat and wild caught fish are not things I can buy right now, so I need to use other sources. Canned salmon looks like what I can do best, probably.

Thanks for the input, everyone, it was helpful!

Karin
    Karin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast