Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 years of poor sleep is really taking its toll on me.. page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

4 years of poor sleep is really taking its toll on me..

Primal Fuel
    Every single day, I have a blocked nose, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've been primal for over a year and have eliminated any questionable sources of discomfort, including dairy. I even tried removing nightshades for a few weeks with no improvement. I feel that this is interfering with my sleep, because I never wake up feeling refreshed anymore. I sleep all the way through the night without fail, but I never seem to hit the 'deep' phase of sleep anymore. I've recently been taking Magnesium Citrate supplements (about half an hour before bed, 400-600mg) and a Multivitamin (during the day) to try to help me sleep, but I can't say that I've had any distinct, noticeable improvements. I've only started taking these 2 days ago though, so it's still early days.

No matter how much exercise I do (light or heavy, but never in excess) per day, and regardless of how consistent I am with my food choices, the following symptoms are always there - never changing, yet never worsening either. My throat feels completely fine, aside from when I wake up in the morning - it feels a little dry then, but a couple of cups of water helps straight away. My nose tends to ease up during the day, but always seems to become blocked overnight without fail. I always have a very minor, consistent headache during most days, as well. All of this adds up to a constant sense of fatigue and lethargy which is seriously interfering with my life, as I'm always in a mental fog and feeling drained. My memory and concentration have deteriorated to the point where it's really worrying me.

I can guarantee that if I could have some restful sleep once again (I used to be a damn good sleeper before all this started happening about 4 years ago), that all of these symptoms will alleviate. I just can't understand why my sleep has been so unsatisfying for a while - all I know for certain is that my sleep quality has been in an incredibly gradual decline; none of this happened abruptly or out of the blue. It's literally taken years to get to this point, but I'm running out of ideas and solutions. I eat right, I exercise well, and my sleep habits (turning off all electronics an hour before bed, keeping a consistent sleep schedule, etc) are all consistently spot-on.

Can anyone throw me a bone here? This is all amounting to depression now, and it's obvious why. I wake up every day feeling tired and fed up with everything, despite my life actually being incredibly good. There's no stress or other external factors which could be interfering, either. Also, my depression has resulted from the poor sleep, not the other way around - I can say that with certainty.
    Last edited by KG; 04-09-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Random thought - are you reacting to something in the bed? Feathers? Dust mites? Fabric conditioner? What happens if you sleep outdoors?

KG
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Random thought - are you reacting to something in the bed? Feathers? Dust mites? Fabric conditioner? What happens if you sleep outdoors?
    Right after I posted, I actually thought about the possibility of allergies. I haven't slept outdoors in years (live in London, and I haven't gone on holiday in ages), but I have actually tried sleeping in other places around the house - same symptoms. However, I think it's entirely possible that I may actually be allergic to my two dogs. I just have no idea of confirming this without getting rid of them or moving out (I'm still in school, so this isn't happening. I don't run this household either, my parents do. :P), both of which are just not possible nor practical right now. We have two cats as well, but I'm definitely sure that I'm fine with them. I've never had any bad reactions to cats, and we used to have one for about 4 years with no issues at all.

Thing is, we got our dogs about 6-7 years ago (both are boxers). Like I mentioned before, my symptoms were very gradual, and only proceed to slowly get worse. However, is it even remotely possible that I'm allergic to them if I only really started suffering 4 years ago? Surely a 2-3 year delay in allergic symptoms is just far-fetched?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Get an allergy test and figure out what is causing it? I started taking a quercetin/bromelain pill (also contains some herbs, iHerb.com - iHerb.com) a few weeks ago when I started getting some hay fever symptoms, and it resolved it on the first day pretty much. Theyre sold out atm, but I'm sure you can find something similar.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Grizz is offline Banned
    KG,

Don't even consider allergies to your pets. Pet allergies result in ASTHMA - something you clearly don't have.

I agree with Dragonfly. You are very likely to be extremely deficient in Vitamin D3, which in turn SEVERELY affects all of your body systems. D3 is far more than a vitamin, it is a required HORMONE that we normally get from direct sunlight. Our immune system requires Vitamin D3 to function properly.

Please see the Vitamin D3 report below this message.

One last thought. Are you getting enough sex with orgasms? We human creatures sleep much better after a good romp under the sheets.

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 04-09-2011 at 03:26 AM.

KG
    I'm sorry, I should've mentioned this in my first post - keep bloody forgetting everything - but I supplement with Vitamin D3 every day at 5000iu without fail. I've been doing this for at least half a year now, too. That also goes for my Omega 3 fish oils. This is the brand that I use:

Healthy Origins, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 360 Softgels - iHerb.com

Surely I can't be deficient after the supplementation? I haven't had any formal tests, mind...

Grizz, you're right about the asthma part - I've never had that in my life. I just thought that allergies could have some potentially subtle symptoms on a low-grade, chronic level.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever tried nasal irrigation? A neti pot might help. I've never used one but I've found that a saline spray helps immensely when my sinuses get bad. I have vasomotor rhinitis, basically the nerves in my sinuses are hyperactive and think everything is an allergen, including strong smells, every pollen, dust, etc . . . Saline irrigation flushes out a lot of the gunk that gets built up and soothes the irritation.

Curmujeon is offline Member
    You might want to get checked for sleep apnea. I have atrial fibrillation and that goes hand-in-hand with apnea. I started magnesium supplements a couple months and find that I do sleep better. I take 2-3 caps of 200 mg chelated magnesium during the day and Natural Calm(mag citrate) before bed. I've heard that mag can be a stimulant when taken in large amounts before bedtime. I also take 300-600 mcg of melatonin some nights to help with sleep.
    Beware of fake meat.

Mldami is online now Senior Member
    Maybe look into adrenal fatigue. It can cause all kinds of wacky symptoms

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast