Thread: How much does it matter? page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

How much does it matter?

Primal Fuel
    I have been trying to focus on lifting more, but it isn't as easy to get to the gym and fit it in as I thought it would be.

My normal Friday workouts used to be something I really enjoyed. A friend told me that what I was doing was basically useless, but I don't know if I agree. It was sort of circuit training, but usually with a pretty good amount of weight, although I admit I could probably do more.

Example:

split squats with 10# dumbbells x 10 each side
    jump squats 10-15
    over head press with dumbbells, 10-15 pounds x 10-12 reps
    incline chest press with 15# dumbbells, 10 reps
    some sort of core- planks usually

I would do each exercise without resting between and then rest for 1-2 minutes and repeat.

I felt that since I was using heavier weights (I started with 5# dumbbells) and was often sore the next day, that I was building muscle. Is this not true? My friend is very much pushing my to do; squats, dead lifts, over head press, chest press, etc. I don't mind adding the dead lifts. But is it really not possible to get stronger and build lean muscle if I do it my way?

At any rate. I can normally get to the gym on Wednesday without an issue. If I did the workouts my way, which I find more fun and am really more willing to do, is it going to be counter productive? Is the 'strong lifts' style really the only way? If it is really that superior I can make myself do it, for a while anyway. I would do this style of lifting on Wednesday and Friday, switching up some of the exercises, but using the same format. I have squadron PT Tues and Thurs which is usually more cardio or circuit training with body weight exercises. Lately, I have been swimming.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    No SS is not the only way to get in shape, but it is a damn good way. Technically if you can do one pushup then work your way up to 25 you did get stronger, and the same thing goes for just about anything. Unfortunatly if you truly want to get stronger and build lean muscle SS or some sort of weight lifting routine that has you doing squats, deadlifts, and some sort of press whether it is bench or standing is going to trump jump squats any day.
    "Live Free or Die"

So if I did the example on Friday and then did the same format of workout on Wednesday with dead lifts in place of jump squats and front squats in place of the split squats it would cover all bases, no?

I should add I am working on chin-ups and dips too. I did those today along with kettlebell squats and planks. I know a lot of people are anti-core, but I have a need for them. One, they help me with push-ups since when my shoulder is not jacked up my biggest struggle with push-ups is my lower back because of ab weakness. Two, they help with sit-ups and since I get tested on those too, but hate to actually do more sit-ups than absolutely necessary I work abs other ways to keep them strong and then just do sit-ups for the few weeks before my fit test.

I understand the concept of the SS, but it just doesn't really appeal to me. I WANTED to enjoy it, but eh, it just didn't do it for me. Although, part of it might be my oppositional nature wanting to say, "I can get stronger without it." I mean as long as I use progressively heavier weights. I think eventually I will get to the point where I can't do my style workout the way I do it because the weights will be too heavy and I will need more rest.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I think you have enough knowledge to make your own sound decision. You and only you know what your goals are. Asking people on here is good but in the end your're going to do what you want. I made suggestions in a previous thread and from what you said you tried them and didn't like it. Thats fine though. Do what you enjoy and keeps you going to the gym. If i could give one last piece of advice it would be to lower your reps to 8-10 instead of 12-15, and increase your weight. As long as your increasing your weight weekly or for example you try to do 10 reps of something and hit 8 then next time get that 10. If you do your getting stronger. Keep lifting!
    "Live Free or Die"

You're right. I think I will stick with what I am doing until I feel like I am not making progress with it and then maybe I will be ready for the other way of lifting. I just really felt like SS was the ONLY way from what I was told, and maybe I just don't like being told stuff like that. A bit stubborn, you know?

That doesn't mean I can't or won't lift in an SS style, just that it issn't what I want to do at the moment. I can definitely increase the weight and decrease the reps because I know that will help me progress faster. Like with the chin-ups and dips, I had been doing 8 reps and 2 sets and I think that was helping me more.