Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayonnaise makers - get in here! page

Buffalo Chip is offline Member

Wink Mayonnaise makers - get in here!

I just tried making my own mayonnaise and it was a dismal failure.

I followed the recipe in the PB Cookbook -

2 TBSP cider vinegar
    3/4 Cup EVOO
    Dash of paprika
    Dash of salt
    1 egg

I put everything but the oil in a stainless steel bowl and started up my immersion blender with the whisk attachment on low. Once those ingredients were blended, I slowly added the EVOO while blending.

I now have a yellow liquid that lacks viscosity, and tastes nothing like the Hellman's I love. In fact, it tastes like a salad dressing gone wrong.

I figured it may thicken with more oil, so I added another 1/4 cup. Didn't help.

I added another egg. Didn't help.

I thought maybe the bowl was too wide since only a small part of the whisk was whisking the slurry, so I poured it all into a wide mouth quart mason jar and blended again (should have done this in the first place, incidentally). No love there, either.

So I swapped attachments and tried the blender attachment. Still no luck.

The good news is that it does not appear to be separating, so apparently I successfully emulsified the oil & vinegar.

Any tips on how to make this thicker or that I may have done wrong? Can I salvage this?

I did wind up eating some anyways - poured some over a can of tuna packed in water (drained) and added several teaspoons of horseradish (try it: horseradish + mayo + tuna = awesomeness!) it was palatable, but Hellman's is way better.

Buffalo Chip is offline Member
    I skipped the mustard which is listed in the PB cookbook. Could that be my problem? I like mustard, but figured I'd add it in once the mayo got thicker.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I have never made my own mayo but i do know that an olive oil mayo will never taste like Hellmans. Just get that out of your head or even if you do get it to whip up like true mayo the taste will always dissapoint you.
    "Live Free or Die"

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    A whole egg has a lot of water that needs to be emulsified before it gets thick. The one time I made mayonnaise I did it with just the yolk, and it thickened beautifully.

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Don't make mayo in a metal bowl, even stainless steel. Use ceramic or a blender. I'd suggest a hand mixer and ceramic bowl over other methods.

Also, more oil = thicker mayo (yeah really).

Your proportions look OK but if it still doesn't thicken then beat up an egg yolk and reintroduce the other stuff you have. I will go up to 3 eggs per cup and a 1/2 of oil.

EVOO can be quite bitter and commercial mayonnaise often uses sugar (and uses rubbish but bland oil). You can add lemon juice, salt/pepper and mustard. My last batch I added a little coconut oil to make up for no sweetening. You could also do more lemon juice and garlic (aoili).

I think that macadamia would be awesome (and I will use this next time) as it's fairly light tasting.
    Last edited by avelin; 04-08-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    A mayonnaise made from EVOO is going to taste a bit bitter, depending on what brand of oil you use. A dash more salt can help that, but personally, I like to make my mayonnaise with melted duck fat, which isn't as bitter as EVOO. A lighter olive oil, or something a bit more neutral like avocado oil or macadamia oil might work too.

That said, as an oil that thickens when cold, duck fat mayo isn't the best for keeping in the fridge. I pasteurise my eggs before I use them in the mayo, so that I can keep it at room temperature.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Digby is offline Senior Member
    This recipe has never failed me, the key is to SLOWLY pour the oil into the blender as it is running on low (macadamia or light olive oil both work well):
    1/2 cup herb or cider vinegar
    1 egg
    1 tsp honey
    1/2 tsp seasalt (optional)
    1 1/2 cups oil

Blend the first 4 ingredients well. Then add the oil slowly and continue to blend till the mixture is thick. Place in a covered bottle or jar,and let stand for an hour at room temperature. Then refrigerate till needed.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I made mayo from scratch years ago, and I remember although it is nice stuff, it is not the same thing as commercial mayo - it has a different taste. And regarding oils, maybe use a light tasting olive oil, and it won't be so olivy tasting
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Does mayo made with a raw egg really only keep for one week? I don't mind making my own mayo. I just wish it would keep longer than one week.

I saw on another site that the mayo should keep for up to one month. That would be much better for me.

Either way, I would need to cut the recipe in half or more. Would it still be okay to use one egg for the recipe? It's kind of hard to cut an egg in half, but I guess doable if you stir the yolk and white together first.
    I wonder this too. My thinking is it probably matters on the origin of the egg? No telling when store bought eggs were collected but I would think as close to farm fresh as you can get would make a difference.
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you make your mayo with EVOO (as I do), you must use the "light" blend--not simply 'virgin' but 'light.'

Otherwise the flavor is much too bitter. (I made it with extra virgin once in a pinch, and it was awful.)

I also like to add a little lemon juice as well as the ACV, but that's personal taste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast