Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Culture shock: "Is this food?" page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Culture shock: "Is this food?"

What a shame that their introduction to American food is unidentifiable stuff in packages and donuts with multi-colored sprinkles:

TYWKIWDBI ("Tai-Wiki-Widbee"): Trying to adapt to life in the United States

Aphrodite is offline Member
    Totally agree!

Wow that's an amazing video, I'm going to have to watch the whole movie now. It's really sort of refreshing, to see an outsider's take on our culture. Eye opening, in a way.

Thanks for sharing!
    I journal cuz I can: My Primal Journal of Super-ness

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I just watched God Grew Tired of Us on Netflix this week, highly recommend it, it is on instant watch. It was a bummer that they were introduced to the potato chip as a much more convenient and easy way to eat their potatoes than what they were used to. What we have to remember though, is that most people in the world are just happy to have a meal, and a donut is heaven after sucking moisture out of balls of mud due to lack of water.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Aphrodite is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    What we have to remember though, is that most people in the world are just happy to have a meal, and a donut is heaven after sucking moisture out of balls of mud due to lack of water.
    Very, very true.

Yay for Netflix.
    I journal cuz I can: My Primal Journal of Super-ness

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    What a shame that their introduction to American food is unidentifiable stuff in packages and donuts with multi-colored sprinkles:

TYWKIWDBI ("Tai-Wiki-Widbee"): Trying to adapt to life in the United States
    See how fit and healthy they all look now. It saddens me to think what they'll look (and feel) like a year from now on a SAD.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Noooooo! Come to Canada. We're less despicable. Put down the chips, damnit.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    If I was capable of tears this video would make me cry.

I feel ashamed of the current human condition in America. Sprinkles, racist store owners and all.
    ad astra per aspera

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    I saw this last night. They get to eat fake food, and have to deal with the "un-friendlyness" of us Americans. "You can not go to the house of someone you don't know, though you are all Americans" aint that the truth! They even had to split up when they did things, because they were "intimidating people". I think I would love a trip to Sudan. I would love to be greeted by people as I walk by, and be able to drop at someones door just to have a chat. I think they will be homesick for their food, and people in a very short time.

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    I just added this documentary to instant queue on Netflix. It looks really good! Thanks dragonmamma.
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by freethinkingcavewoman View Post
    I saw this last night. They get to eat fake food, and have to deal with the "un-friendlyness" of us Americans. "You can not go to the house of someone you don't know, though you are all Americans" aint that the truth! They even had to split up when they did things, because they were "intimidating people". I think I would love a trip to Sudan. I would love to be greeted by people as I walk by, and be able to drop at someones door just to have a chat. I think they will be homesick for their food, and people in a very short time.
    This is main thing that has not left me since I watched it, I have lived in this house for a year and a half and have never had a conversation with my neighbors. I interact more with people online that live all over the world than I do with the people that live 20 feet from me.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast