Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Beef Stroganoff page

geostump is online now Senior Member

Primal Beef Stroganoff

Shop Now
    I'm wanting to know if anyone here has primalized beef stroganoff? Is tomato paste even primal?
    Georgette

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I have never put tomato paste in stroganoff - just onions, beef, caraway, paprika and sour cream stirred in.And it is delish with kidneys instead of beef....

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I've never seen stroganoff with tomato paste, but there's no reason that a good quality tomato paste wouldn't be primal. It's essentially just cooked down, condensed tomato goodness. In fact, the variety I have in my cupboard has one ingredient: organic tomatoes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I need to look at my Betty Crocker cookbook. This is the one from 1954, still one of my prized possessions that I received after mom passed. I could swear it has tomato paste in it. Now, it's been 22 years since I've made it. I need to look through this tonight and see what I can do with it. I just really have a yen for this right now and not sure why.
    Georgette

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Either way, tomato paste is fine as long as it doesn't have any non-primal stuff added to it. I'd suggest going with plain and avoiding the pre-seasoned types.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I never buy the pre-seasoned stuff. I find that to be a waste really.
    Georgette

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    To primalize it, I'd reduce the sauce and add extra sour cream (so that you don't have to thicken with flour) and serve over mashed cauli instead of noodles.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I need to look at my Betty Crocker cookbook. This is the one from 1954, still one of my prized possessions that I received after mom passed. I could swear it has tomato paste in it. Now, it's been 22 years since I've made it. I need to look through this tonight and see what I can do with it. I just really have a yen for this right now and not sure why.
    Um... stroganoff has never had tomato paste in it. But then again, we're talking about Betty Crocker. I wouldn't trust that source.

Primal Stroganoff (as long as you eat dairy), per person:

8 oz. ground beef
    1/2 medium yellow onion, cut in strips
    4 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup white wine or dry sherry
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 TB butter
    Nutmeg and black pepper to taste

Melt butter in skillet. Fry beef, onion, and mushrooms in skillet over medium-high heat. When beef is mostly browned and onions and mushrooms have wilted, season with nutmeg and pepper. Add white wine/sherry; reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes. Add sour cream and heavy cream to beef and vegetable mixture. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Serves 1-2.

Nutrition facts:
    Calories: 523
    Fat: 43g
    Cholesterol: 140mg
    Sodium: 113mg
    Carbs: 9g
    Sugars: 3g
    Fiber: 1g
    Protein: 23g
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thanks Griff. That's pretty much what I remember. Thinking about making that for lunch tomorrow.
    Georgette

Primal April is offline Junior Member
    The recipe I have calls for sour cream and tomato paste as well (only like 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste though). I think it gives it a good tangy taste...I also add a lot of dill. Pretty darn good...I serve it over roasted butternut squash. Yum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast