Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest acting breakfast/Pre workout foods? page

Poopers is offline Member

Fastest acting breakfast/Pre workout foods?

Primal Fuel
    I have very little time to work out before work and was looking for suggestions on foods that the body can quickly digest and utilize for the workout? Im trying to keep carbs low (generally speaking) but I know they are good for energy. Right now I just drink some whole milk and eat sunflower seeds and a little fruit for sugar pre-workout. Oh and a nasty chemical-laden energy supplement that Im 'weening' myself off of.

Maybe this should be in the recipe section but I think its fitness specific

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried working out before breaking your fast?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

I am forced all-to-often to do this on an empty stomach. I feel/do much better with calories in me. I usually do a mix of bodyweight exercises ( Im about 220lbs right now) and a dumbell lifts. I can run fine on an empty stomach but lifting is a different story

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I have to wait an hour after eating anything to do any sort of workout, so I am no help in this dept.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

I should probably just down whey mixed with whole milk and hope for the best

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You do not need to eat before training in order to give yourself energy. But, as you feel better doing this, just choose any food that you can digest fairly easily. This is normally an fairly individual thing though so it's difficult to give recommendations.
    Last edited by Coach Palfrey; 04-08-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I find anything with too much protein makes me feel barfy, but one of the guys at my gym is the opposite and has a protein shake every morning before his workout. I prefer something with a bit of carb and a good hit of fat eaten an hour before. If I can't eat far enough ahead, I'd rather just work out fasted.

You'll probably have to play around a bit and figure out what works for you. Also pay attention to particular foods and your reaction. Coffee before Crossfit makes me hurl, guaranteed, but tea is fine...go figure. You may discover similar quirks.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Banana.

But I generally work out fasted. I don't like having anything at all in my stomach. Makes me barfy.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    I've tried working out fasted and it just doesn't work for me. I have a cup of plain whole milk yogurt, usually about 20 mins before I start my workout, and have been doing that for a couple of years. I find it's the right combination of fat/carb/protein for me. When I've been in situations (like when I'm traveling and staying in a hotel) where my only option is something more carby (like an apple) I find I don't feel as good when I workout.

The workout generally suppresses my appetite for an hour or more afterwards, so I won't eat a real breakfast until/unless I get hungry for it.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast