Thread: Did anyone else see this article about barefoot running? page

kam904s is offline Member

Shop Now

Did anyone else see this article about barefoot running?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/he...r=2&ref=health

Tarlach is offline Member

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Ummmm.... it's not about barefoot running.

It is, however the article that had a bad link that was put up here yesterday, so thanks for that.

Well, the video on the side is about barefoot running in Central Park. To which I thought to myself "OUCH" but they don't seem to have much of a problem. And no, I didn't see that thread before, so thank you! :-D

Ah, but the title for the printed page is very specific. I hardly ever watch video inserts, anyway. I can read much faster for the same info, generally. Probably a generational thing.

I don't know about it being a generational thing - I'm 29 and I tend to both read the articles and watch the videos (if provided).

What I found interesting about the video was where the runner was talking about the form of the running itself. Almost a springing motion, really, landing lightly on the balls of the feet and then pushing off. Not a skip, not a jog, but not an out and out run either. I weigh too much to do that sort of thing right now - it'd be hell on my knees (and pregnant belly!) - but I'm looking forward to giving it a try on some grass in about 6-8 months.

I've read that research shows that us old guys tend to be more "cut to the chase, I'm here for information, not entertainment." Not impressed with fancy web pages, hate those flash intros immensely.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Well I find the video interesting -- I missed it when I read the article a few days ago, but maybe cause I'm not really interested in running per se. I guess the thing to note is the difference in stride between the "Expert" and "novice" runners. The guy who's been doing it for some time is not lifting his feet nearly as high off the ground as the other one. I imagine this lessens the overall impact on your feet, knees and probably hips. I absolutely love the feeling of walking around barefoot (though hate jogging of any kind), but not ready to do it in the concrete jungle just yet.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

PrimalCon New York

Exactly! I don't know what that sort of run would be called though... it really is more like a springing step with a little bit of oomph behind it but it's not a jog. Maybe it needs a new word all its own. :-)