Thread: Carbs and exercise! page

TriGirl is offline Member

Carbs and exercise!

Shop Now
    So my exercise regime is by no mean primal since I am training for a HIM but I have a question about carbs.
    I got a nutrition program from Nell Stephenson which seem to be working really well for me at the moment. I have an intake of app 100-150g of carb pr day most of which is eaten directly after my workouts but I also eat a little fruit through out the day. This amount of carbs is pretty high compared to most people in here, but so far my workouts havn't suffered and I don't have a craving for sweets which is a really big thing for me.

If I do 1-3 hours of exercise each day and expect to burn through my glycogen storage first a very rough estimate would be that I would burn something like 400 cal/hour, and saying that there is 4 calories/g carb I would expect to burn around 100g carbs/hour? Or is that a way to easy way of looking at it?

And if you compare me to someone doing primal fitness or no fitness at all but eating very low car 0-50g would you expect to see some of the same results since we actually both have a pretty low carb consumption at the end of the day? Or is there a whole thing with how you store the sugar compared to how you actually use it?

I don't really have a reason for asking this since I will probably keep doing what I'm doing since it seems to work, but was just wondering...

Lonnie

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    To be honest I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but just saying if you are doing that much exercise don't worry about 150g carbs and seems fine. Doing that much training you definitely need them, low carb and glycogen depleting exercise is NOT a good combo.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    The rate that you burn glycogen at depends on lots of factors: How long it's been since your last meal, how intense the exercise is, your carb intake in that last meal, etc. In general higher intensity exercise burns more carbs and lower intensity more fat, but it's always a mix. If you're training a lot then by all means increase the healthy carb sources as you're doing.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    To be honest I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but just saying if you are doing that much exercise don't worry about 150g carbs and seems fine. Doing that much training you definitely need them, low carb and glycogen depleting exercise is NOT a good combo.
    I agree, if your going to be using carbs, then make sure you eat carbs. But a little confused what you are doing. What is HIM?

lorilr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGirl View Post
    So my exercise regime is by no mean primal since I am training for a HIM but I have a question about carbs.

Lonnie
    I first heard "Paleo" from my ironman coach. Resisted the idea for months that I could train without pasta and rice. Finally pulled the trigger.

Maybe buy (or at least skim) the "Paleo Diet for Athletes" book. The author gives easy to follow guidelines about adapting for the endurance athlete.

I never counted carbs, never worried about what I was burning in an hour, ate PB&J sandwiches after most long workouts, huge sweet potatoes on big training days....

HTH,
    Lori

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorilr View Post
    I first heard "Paleo" from my ironman coach. Resisted the idea for months that I could train without pasta and rice. Finally pulled the trigger.

Maybe buy (or at least skim) the "Paleo Diet for Athletes" book. The author gives easy to follow guidelines about adapting for the endurance athlete.

I never counted carbs, never worried about what I was burning in an hour, ate PB&J sandwiches after most long workouts, huge sweet potatoes on big training days....

HTH,
    Lori
    I read that book, and its a great book, but i think since then Cordain has retracted some of the things he mentioned in the book. Things like where he said you can eat all you want as long as its paleo, well i guess he didn't realize that people might eat 30 bananas a day or eat massive amounts of nuts.
    So, there is some caveats to his book (which i guess he didn't realize at the time, but he really knows his stuff). Robb Wolf is his student and may have more information relating to athletes (check out his free podcasts). The Primal Blueprint (which is also a fantastic read) is more for the average person. Honestly, it would probably be best to read them all.

TriGirl is offline Member
    Thank you for all the answers, and sorry for the confusion!!!
    I actually read both paleo diet for athletes, paleolithic solution and primal blueprint so it is not that I am really thinking that I am eating too many carbs. I kinda think that if a little (or in my case little more) fruit is what it takes to get rid of the sugar cravings and not feel deprived that is the way to go, everything primal is so much better than "normal" food. So this thread was actually just because I was wondering about it... If it was off season I know I would have to cut way back on the fruit to lose/maintain weight, so I was wondering if there was some sort of connection.

Tash is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBerserker View Post
    What is HIM?
    I noticed that this question wasn't answered. A HIM = Half Ironman.
    That's 1.9km swim, 90km bike ride, 21.1 km run

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I trained for Ironman while Primal, and I will say that while eating Primal allowed me to sit on my a$$ and drop 30 lbs over the winter, during the training period I was so starving (and ate so much) from working out constantly that I didn't lose more weight, but I did go down a pant size. So...I think regardless of the slightly higher carbs, you will be fine. Your body will get stronger and denser (maybe not lighter), and your performance won't suffer. Good luck! The HIM is my favorite distance.