Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bacon Mayo Recipe: page 3

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Alright, I made it, and it seems to have emulsified right, but it's very, very thin. Will chilling be all I need to fix that, or is something else needed first?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Here we go... mine turned out too much like just plain old bacon grease, so I went and got my NT recipe that I usually use for mayo and used those ratios instead. I like it much better now, after adding lots more eggs, lemon juice, & mustard. Here are those ratios, if any are interested. I fermented it while I was at it, so I expect it'll last a long, long time in the fridge, as my veg oil mayo does (and since the bacon fat has already been sitting on the counter for months, anyway, lol).

1 whole egg, room temp
    1 yolk, room temp
    1 tsp Dijon-type mustard
    1-1/2T lemon juice
    1 T whey (from some other ferment)
    3/4 - 1C fat of your choice (bacon grease! I did not strain it), liquified
    generous pinch sea salt

Blend all but oil & whey. Add fat in a thin stream for a minute or two *while blending*, then add it faster till all is in, blending all the while.

To make the mayo probiotic and increase longevity, add whey and let sit at room temp, well covered, for 7hrs before refrigerating.

Thanks so much for your recipe, lilearthmomma; I wouldn't even have attempted this without it!

ETA note on the whey. This is NOT powdered whey. It's the liquid that comes off of yogurt or really, the liquid from any fermented food. It inoculates the mayo.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-19-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: must keep blending!!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Here we go... mine turned out too much like just plain old bacon grease, so I went and got my NT recipe that I usually use for mayo and used those ratios instead. I like it much better now, after adding lots more eggs, lemon juice, & mustard. Here are those ratios, if any are interested. I fermented it while I was at it, so I expect it'll last a long, long time in the fridge, as my veg oil mayo does (and since the bacon fat has already been sitting on the counter for months, anyway, lol).

1 whole egg, room temp
    1 yolk, room temp
    1 tsp Dijon-type mustard
    1-1/2T lemon juice
    1 T whey (from some other ferment)
    3/4 - 1C fat of your choice (bacon grease! I did not strain it), liquified
    generous pinch sea salt

Blend all but oil & whey. Add fat in a thin stream for a minute or two, then add it faster till all is in.

To make the mayo probiotic and increase longevity, add whey and let sit at room temp, well covered, for 7hrs before refrigerating.

Thanks so much for your recipe, lilearthmomma; I wouldn't even have attempted this without it!
    Thanks for making it even better!!! I can`t wait to try it with the additions! This recipe was made so long ago, I`ve definitely adjusted the flavorings to taste but this will be awesome!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Nia
    Nia is offline Junior Member

Just want to say thanks!

I'm new to posting but I've been lurking around here for quite a while and just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you! Leave it to a food post to bring me out of my shell.

I'm a big believer in waste not, want not. I was craving some nuts earlier and used an egg white while spicing them up. So i was looking at the lone left over yolk thinkin >.< wth.

Anyways, I know it's an old thread, but it's really delicious. Mine whipped up perfectly. I did sub lime for lemon and also added some chili powder and some various herbs. I can't wait to start putting it on everything.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    I had a mad craving for deviled eggs but no mayo. Thank you SO much for posting this, it's funny how you can forget that you can just make mayo when it's easy to grab it from a jar.

I went with good ol' arm-power, but I never deny a deviled egg craving (especially not when the yolks get mixed with bacon mayo, hot sauce, soaked chipotle peppers, and pickled jalapenos!).

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! I have to try this out. I've been needing to make mayo again (EVOO mayo I just didn't like) for tuna or egg salad, and casear dressing. I can tell what I'm making tonight!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123