Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Try telling a bunch of bread makers that gluten is bad (awesome)

Hybrid View

Try telling a bunch of bread makers that gluten is bad (awesome)

Just stumble across this.

Someone posted a link to this site and got slammed.

Gluten bad for you - WTF? | The Fresh Loaf

"Gluten has been around for a long time, and has been consumed by millions. It's not poison. Dont limit your diet, as removing all gluten foods is extremely limiting, due to fear."

Sometimes I just wish I could punch the internet in the face!

Don't feel bad. A couple of my best friends are wheat farmers. =8O

I'm pretty sure I just read research scientists are trying to make gluten-free wheat...... Just more confusion for the clueless public.

What we all need is HERITAGE wheat:
    Heritage Grain Conservancy

If bakers didn't know about the switch from older wheat to dwarf hybrid wheat, we're in trouble.

I dunno about gluten free wheat... at least it doesn't have the addictive gliadin unnatural gluten proteins. If all the bread is flat and icky, maybe no one will eat it anyway.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Did they call it rice?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Isn't gluten one of those "trust your body" and YMMV things?

I've eaten gluten-laden bread for decades. I've baked. I've also gone though long periods without gluten (zero wheat of any kind) not because of paleo or anything like that but because I needed cheap food that stored well and cooked without fancy tools. Rice fit the bill, so I ate lots of rice.

I have never felt ANY evidence that - TO ME - gluten is either harmful or helpful compared to other protein (or anything else in my diet). I'll accept the argument that fresh vegetables are less energy-dense and nutrient-rich, that starches and sugars are metabolized differently or don't provide long term satiety, that my socioeconomic situation is such that cheap bulk foods are now unwise and unneccessary, and so on, but the idea that gluten is somehow especially bad for me? No, it doesn't jive with my personal experience. I don't have any food alergies. There are foods I have never enjoyed (e.g. peanut butter...I didn't like it when I was 6, and I just don't like it now) but I'm not alergic to those foods. I have friends who do have honest food alergies and every time we eat together I'm reminded of how glad I am not to share that affliction.

I'm not going to say that gluten is great for celiacs or other gluten-sensitive people, any more than walnuts are great for someone with a walnut alergy, but the fact that YOU are alergic to walnuts, or shrimp, or gluten, or whatever, doesn't mean that I am, or that those foods are bad in any way. If you are of a healthy weight (which MANY bread-eaters are) and in otherwise good health (which, again, is true for MANY bread-eaters), and don't have other issues, then enjoy your bread, gluten and all. If you find you have a problem, make changes. Is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post

I've eaten gluten-laden bread for decades. I've baked. I've also gone though long periods without gluten (zero wheat of any kind) not because of paleo or anything like that but because I needed cheap food that stored well and cooked without fancy tools. Rice fit the bill, so I ate lots of rice.

I have never felt ANY evidence that - TO ME - gluten is either harmful or helpful compared to other protein (or anything else in my diet). I'll accept the argument that fresh vegetables are less energy-dense and nutrient-rich, that starches and sugars are metabolized differently or don't provide long term satiety, that my socioeconomic situation is such that cheap bulk foods are now unwise and unneccessary, and so on, but the idea that gluten is somehow especially bad for me? No, it doesn't jive with my personal experience. I don't have any food alergies. There are foods I have never enjoyed (e.g. peanut butter...I didn't like it when I was 6, and I just don't like it now) but I'm not alergic to those foods. I have friends who do have honest food alergies and every time we eat together I'm reminded of how glad I am not to share that affliction.

I'm not going to say that gluten is great for celiacs or other gluten-sensitive people, any more than walnuts are great for someone with a walnut alergy, but the fact that YOU are alergic to walnuts, or shrimp, or gluten, or whatever, doesn't mean that I am, or that those foods are bad in any way. If you are of a healthy weight (which MANY bread-eaters are) and in otherwise good health (which, again, is true for MANY bread-eaters), and don't have other issues, then enjoy your bread, gluten and all. If you find you have a problem, make changes. Is that wrong?
    There's a YouTube video floating around here from a science guy talking all about why gluten and gliatin are bad for everyone. It's an interesting view, but he is kind of bouncy and high on caffeine. Never the less he lays it out quite nicely and easily. Gliatin has a way of getting past the defense mechanism in your gut and making micro-tears all over your insides = not good. Plus it messes with your immune response system. I don't remember all the details off hand, but it was enough to convince me.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post

Gluten is in a hell of a lot of processed and packaged foods these day, just ask any celiac trying to find "convenience" foods.
    How did you find your way onto this forum? Most people arrive via Mark's blog, after reading his book, or through already having an interest in paleo / ancestral health, which are essentially (if not completely) grain and especially gluten free diets (diet as in way of eating, not particularly a way if losing weight).

Have you read this, or this?

I never realised that gluten was causing me issues until I completely removed it from my diet. Eating it never caused me any symptoms, but eating other foods certainly did. But once I stopped eating gluten, the other, more nutritious foods (eg. Veggies, onion, garlic) no longer were an issue for me.

Now I can (but rarely do) eat some gluten containing products, but if I have them too often I start to experience problems digesting those other foods again.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Gluten is in a hell of a lot of processed and packaged foods these day, just ask any celiac trying to find "convenience" foods.
    How did you find your way onto this forum?
    Google. To elaborate: I was looking for additional information to accelerate an exercise/health putsch I kicked off recently. MDA kept showing up in that research so I did some reading and came to the conclusion that, with the exception of one major area, "primal" was very close to what I was already doing and/or had a long-standing preference for. The big exception, when I thought about it, was mostly a reflection of old economic realities and habit more than any deep desire. Said another way, I have lived through periods where the only way I could afford even 1000 kcal a day was to buy 50lb bags of rice and use that for the bulk of my calories, and my food buying habits never really changed when my financial situation improved. In my current situation it doesn't make sense to try to extend my food budget with bulk staple foods (rice, beans, wheat, etc) since the financial difference is negligible compared to my overall budget. So I dispassionately cut them, not because they are bad but because I don't need what they are best at providing - cheap calories.

Have you read this, or this?
    Those appear to be the same. Not specifically/yes in spirit and tone.

I never realised that gluten was causing me issues until I completely removed it from my diet. Eating it never caused me any symptoms, but eating other foods certainly did. But once I stopped eating gluten, the other, more nutritious foods (eg. Veggies, onion, garlic) no longer were an issue for me.
    Yes, it seems perfectly reasonable that some people really need to shake things up to get past long standing food conditioning/habits.

For myself, I have never had any issues with veggies, onion, garlic, or you name it. OK, so there was one time back when I was learning to cook and I misunderstood "15 cloves garlic" to mean "15 heads garlic" and everyone avoided me for a week, but that wasn't because I was experiencing "food issues" the way you mean. From childhood I have eaten everything from hostess twinkies to raw beef (it wasn't common, but I recall we had it a few times before I was 10) to vegetables of every description, and very few have any real effect beyond CICO. I mean, durains stink and raw fat can trigger gagging but that's not what you are talking about. Not having experienced it, I must constantly fight my tendency to dismiss all reported "food issues" as "parental authority issues" or plain old Placebo Effect. It's like so many other areas of life, from race to gender to height...I can't really see things from a 5'3" Caucasian female perspective, or a 6'5" Asian male perspective, because I'm not those people and I never will be, so I must accept that the experiences those people report are valid even though they are different from anything I have personally known. I accept that you have had issues eating vegetables even though it is something I have never personally experienced and I honestly don't even know what "issues" means in this context. I don't know what menstruation is like either. Such is life. I'm glad you found a way to enjoy things that I have enjoyed for as long as I can remember. I just can't bring myself to believe that your experience justifies bashing people on a baking forum for having a different perspective.