Thread: Help with Mollusks page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

Help with Mollusks

Primal Fuel
    So I impulsively purchased some mollusks yesterday and now i'm afraid to use them! I have 4 live oysters, and around a pound of live mussels. i have the PB cookbook, but for some reason i don't really want to try those recipes. i think maybe i'm just scared to try these, though i think they'll be yummy. so, what is your favorite way to eat these? please don't say raw, because i'm in the middle of so dakota, and i bought these from the grocery store, so i don't really trust them raw.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    well N/M about the oysters, I've found that solution:
    Angels on Horseback

i'll take the bacon out of the freezer now. but what about the mussels?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    The mussels are easy.

lots of butter melted in your biggest frying pan, lots of minced garlic, and white wine. Scrub and de-beard the mussels and toss them into the white wine/butter mix. Cover and when they open up they are done!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

peril is offline Senior Member
    Google "cozze" for the mussels - Italians do them best
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    The mussels are easy.

lots of butter melted in your biggest frying pan, lots of minced garlic, and white wine. Scrub and de-beard the mussels and toss them into the white wine/butter mix. Cover and when they open up they are done!
    Adding hot chillies and some lemon grass too, will blow your mind.

The bacon wrapped oysters is great! If you add shrimp on there too it's called an embrochette -- a Cajun treat. I would also call you balsy for ordering raw oysters in SD. Brass Balsy. Char em'!

Elspeth is offline Senior Member
    Mussels in Curry Cream Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Except I use a can of coconut milk and thin it out with some chicken broth (in place of the heavy cream). You can also steep some lemongrass in this if you can find it!!

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I love Steamed Mussels! I have two ways that I make them:

1)In a large skillet saute Butter, Olive Oil, Garlic, Celery or Fennel, Shallots. I never measure--just whatever looks good to you. Then deglase with some white wine and chicken broth. Ratios are really up to you and depends on how much broth you want. Throw in the mussels, stir them around a bit in the goodie, put a lid over them (glass preferably so you can see what's going on). 4-5 minutes tops and they will open and those mussels will have died happy.

2)Make a broth of coconut milk, lemongrass, ginger and garlic and maybe a little Thai fish sauce. Add the mussels, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Enjoy!

Now, I haven't made this since going primal 13 days ago. The main reason is that I like to sop up the broth with a crusty French or Ciabatta bread. Anyone have any good substitutions, or do I just need to spoon the broth right into my mouth?

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, almost forgot. For the first mussel recipe I just posted. Top with lots of fresh, chopped parsley!!