Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Scientists on here ? page

MMMM FAT is offline Senior Member

Any Scientists on here ?

Shop Now
    Since going paleo I have been taking an interest in the learning process(noticed my thinking has changed since this new diet). I have been reading a book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and am trying to learn to apply the "emotional"(known as the artistic, feelings,etc) side towards the logical side. This is an example. My question is, are there any books/resources that you found to help cultivate your way of thinking for logical problems ? Please do not say "pick up a science book", as I want to take a step back and try to look at it from a broader perspective. Tell me if I don't make any sense

mayness is offline Senior Member
    That's an interesting question, I look forward to seeing what sort of responses you get.

The only books I could think to recommend would be some science biographies/histories... the one that popped into my mind first is "The Double Helix." Oh, also that book about Barbara McClintock... "A Feeling for the Organism" I think it's called. That one would probably be more what you're asking for, since her method of doing science is a major focus of the book, as it was pretty unique. (I haven't read any science/philosophy books outside of the field of biology in yeeeears so those are the only specific books I can recommend, heh.)

My husband insists that the reason he's a scientific super-genius (my words, not his) is from learning computer programming at an early age. He was pretty much grounded from ages 10-16 so he spent all that time programming in his room. I don't know if that's what did it, but that guy LIVES the scientific method and logical thinking. Makes me jealous. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    My husband insists that the reason he's a scientific super-genius (my words, not his) is from learning computer programming at an early age. He was pretty much grounded from ages 10-16 so he spent all that time programming in his room. I don't know if that's what did it, but that guy LIVES the scientific method and logical thinking. Makes me jealous. =]
    Sounds like my childhood.

As far as the original post goes, I think I need to understand what that Zen book is about to understand your question.

I would recommend studying epistemology, and praxeology.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I took a couple of courses of symbolic logic in university. They basically taught you how to think - they were no where near my major, but have been the most useful courses I took over my whole degree.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Very interesting reply mayness. I have an interest in biology as well(evolutionary biology), currently reading "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. It is interesting you point out that your husband absorbs the scientific method(just make sure he doesn't dive too deep in the "hypothesis" stage as that is a black hole). Yes I know people that have been programming at an early age and most of them are very sharp. The concept of learning at an early age is also of interest to me. I am curious into finding ways to absorb material like a kid throughout life. I think alot of it has to do with passion. Before I go off on a rant I will say .... I appreciate your input and am now going to look up " a feeling for the organism".....thanks for the reply!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of getting better versed in logic, I always find this list fascinating:
    Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's handy reference for anybody who sees a lot of arguing on internet forums, too!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Grok, without knowing the book you hit it pretty good. I won't spoil the book, but the author seems to adopt plenty epistemological perspectives in the book

Also Grok,,that looks like a nice, FREE, penguin you have there

melodious is offline Senior Member
    For a completely different angle from what others are saying, I found a class I took in college to be really awesome in teaching me about brain integration and learning methods. Educational Psychology. It's a textbook, but I have to say the class was phenomenal. My majors were nothing to do eith Ed. Psych, but I found applications of and evidence for the stuff I was learning every day. If you're interested, I can look up the name of it.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, melodious' post reminded me... I was a psychology minor in college, and I found my Cognitive Psych class to be really helpful... I didn't directly learn much information that I could apply, but knowing a bit more about how the brain perceives and processes information really got me thinking about the ways that I think and learn, and helped me refine some of my techniques. I don't know of any good books on the topic, unfortunately.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast