Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining your optimal weight page

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member

Question Maintaining your optimal weight

Shop Now
    I have never had trouble losing weight (please don't hate me, I can't help it), but I have had trouble staying at my optimal weight. I am currently losing nicely, which is cool because I came to this lifestyle for feeling better, not intending to lose. I don't think I want to lose more than 10 or 15lbs max, but if I stay at the same calorie level I am comfortable now, I will lose more.

This is where I run into problems. I am the yoyo lady. I have a hard time knowing how to bottom out and add enough food just to stay there. Anyone who has gotten to this point and maintained, could you please give me some tips that worked for you.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Karin
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    I am not trying to lose weight either, but have probably lost around 8 pounds or so eating this way. I'm assuming that the losing will just naturally stop when I reach my optimum weight. I don't see a lot of people on here complaining they're losing too much, LOL. I wonder if the yo yoing would happen if you stop eating primal. That is, if you think of this as a lifestyle rather than a diet, you'll continue to eat primal and naturally settle down at a weight.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    OK, Karin, keep in mind that I'm still struggling with this, but I've been maintaining for a few month after a years-long loss of about 180 lbs.

First of all, I find maintenance is not easy--it's not more difficult than weight loss, but it's much more complex.

You need to keep in mind that when you get to your goal, you really can't eat substantially more than you are at that time. If you don't track calories, I would do so for a few days, just so you know the level at which you're losing. Then to maintain, start adding calories slowly until you stop losing. Once you get a good sense of the amount you can eat and maintain that weight, you may not need to count any longer (I have to count because I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid with the slow metabolism that results from both. But I'm so used to counting that it's automatic, and I don't have to write anything down or look anything up.) Don't go by any of those general calculations that say a pound equals 3500 cal, so if you've been losing a pound a week, just add 3500 calories the next week, and you'll maintain. This only works in theory. We're all different.

Also, don't drive yourself crazy. I don't have a 'goal' weight but a range of about 6 lbs. That's because water fluctuations can make me 5lbs lighter or heavier within a single day! I only weigh myself weekly, and if the scale is up 2 lbs, I know that can represent water retention, so I try not to freak out. I'll usually eat more carefully the following week to see how the scale responds. I record my weight each week (weigh same day of the week, same time of the day), and deal with the monthly patterns. For example, during March, I went up and down the same 2 lbs all month. I think I was simply maintaining, and the weight differences were typical fluctuations--and I was within my 'range' the entire month.

JKC
    Emmie, I hear you, and thanks. I am looking at a 5lb range, and thinking that if I bump up above it I will just taper down what I am eating til I am back in my "safe zone". I think that some of my problems in the past have been that I have often eaten "diet" and then tried to eat "maintenance" but maintenance just ended up with me eating the same way I was before the diet. I think it will be different this time, since my diet change is permanent, but I am interested in seeing how the transition to maintenance will go.
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

goodangels is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    Emmie, I hear you, and thanks. I am looking at a 5lb range, and thinking that if I bump up above it I will just taper down what I am eating til I am back in my "safe zone". I think that some of my problems in the past have been that I have often eaten "diet" and then tried to eat "maintenance" but maintenance just ended up with me eating the same way I was before the diet. I think it will be different this time, since my diet change is permanent, but I am interested in seeing how the transition to maintenance will go.
    I'm glad you brought this topic up. I'm about 8 pounds away from my goal and have been thinking how I will ''transition'' into maintenance. Is there a number of carbs that you start increasing, etc. That sounds very Atkins, but it's the only way I can articulate my thinking. I don't want to gain back any of the weight I've lost. I've worked too hard for that to happen. So I too would be interested in hearing what others have to say. How they maintained their weight after achieving their loss goal.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Frequent weight training helps me maintain weight. Whenever I go on vacation or otherwise take a break, I usually drop weight like crazy.

JKC
    Mark suggests 100-150g carbs for weight maintenance, but I was just wondering who has real life experience with it
    Karin

specialrider is offline Junior Member
    I started the Primal thing in October...by early January I had lost about 22 pounds. Based on past experience I thought my ideal weight was about 205, but I kept on dropping weight until I was between 195 and 200. I wondered if the weight would continue to drop but it did not....it just stopped.

I changed nothing about my diet and my weight leveled off. Maybe your body will do the same and just take care of itself?

JKC
    That would be awesome if it did!
    Karin

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    You may want to play around with your exercise as well, for me, that tends to be where I find easy maintenance rather than focusing so much on food as long as I am eating clean.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast