Thread: Bilirubin - what does it mean? page

inter is offline Junior Member

Bilirubin - what does it mean?

Primal Fuel
    I had some bloodwork done and everything was fine except for this Bilirubin. It was on the high side (2.0; normal range is 0-1.2). Is this something to worry about? I read it relates to liver function and people who drink too much alcohol are at risk. I don't drink though.

I have been having chest pain for the past week which I suspect is due to vitamin D supplementation.

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    bilirubbin has to do with liver function. The bilibubin can cause jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes) Get out in the sun more it should help.
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Amazingly, I just went to the doctor for this. I always have a high bilirubin count. He suggested that I might have something called Gilbert's Syndrome, which is basically that there is a hormone lacking that helps breakdown the bilirubin. It's hereditary, and It's usually not a problem he said.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the sun should help (I was born jaundiced due to high bilirubin and they stuck me under special lights to clear it).
    I wonder if maybe your liver function could use a little boost? You could try a milk thistle/dandelion combo. It's safe, protects the liver and stimulates better bile flow.

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    alot of babies are born with jaundice. All 3 of my babies and even my grandson was. I used to 'sun' my kids on the floor near our large sliding glass door since they all were born in the winter.
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

CoachSandee is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Amazingly, I just went to the doctor for this. I always have a high bilirubin count. He suggested that I might have something called Gilbert's Syndrome, which is basically that there is a hormone lacking that helps breakdown the bilirubin. It's hereditary, and It's usually not a problem he said.
    I have Gilbert's Syndrome also. Biliruben levels are nothing to stress about whether it's on the low side or the high side, unless you see issues with other liver function tests.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sghulett View Post
    alot of babies are born with jaundice. All 3 of my babies and even my grandson was. I used to 'sun' my kids on the floor near our large sliding glass door since they all were born in the winter.
    I was born in winter, too. I guess there are higher rates of jaundice in babies born in winter due to lower vit. D levels in the mother.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    A bit irrelevant, but there was a guy a year ahead of me in high school named Billy Rubin. It cracked me up at the time. Still does.