Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALWAYS hungry page

mattdow is offline Junior Member

ALWAYS hungry

I started the Primal Diet about 6 weeks ago and other than getting the low-carb flu, have been feeling pretty good. I feel like I instantly lost some weight and was enjoying the experience of eatling like Grok. I've also included some IFs and believe I'm doing a pretty good job maintaining the diet. (I transgressed the other day and had about a cup of quinoa, and when I looked up how many carbs were in quinoa, 120, i about fell off my chair).

But here's my issue... i am always hungry. I eat a good meal (e.g. pork chops and brocolli with mushrooms) and am hungry within 15-20 minutes after eating. I usually end meals satieted, as opposed to full, but then find myself snacking on nuts or berries soon after eating. Also, my mind is screaming for ice cream, brownies, and other non-Grok foods. I've been good at ignoring those desires, but it seems like my body (or mind) is trying to prevent me from losing weight.

Any thoughts or ideas what's going on?
    thanks

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    This happens with me too, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that maybe I just need to focus on Primal foods and not the C/P/F breakdown--and that is really the whole idea behind the Primal WOL.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    This is the traditional question -- are you getting enough fat? Nothing satisfies my hunger like fat does. And after I get something to eat with enough fat, I find myself not hungry for hours afterward (or even the next day!) so the glut of calories is more than balanced out.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

mattdow is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This is the traditional question -- are you getting enough fat? Nothing satisfies my hunger like fat does. And after I get something to eat with enough fat, I find myself not hungry for hours afterward (or even the next day!) so the glut of calories is more than balanced out.
    You just got to love a food lifestyle that says "eat more fat" to feel satieted. That's my kind of diet. Thanks for the feedback. I also noticed some other posts on this topic and it sounds like I should increase my veggie intake as well.

thanks

mrs_moesy is offline Member
    I would also say increase fat. Veggies are good, but fat will keep you full like nothing else. Coconut milk is fantastic for this. Tastes great, lotsa fat. I put it in my coffee, I have it with a lot of different things.

I also really love Fage total for a snack. So rich and luscious that I eat some and I am all full again. Problem solved. I would rather eat Fage than a donut and I am, er, was a donut junkie.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I was a dessert addict (usually ice cream) so now I make sure to finish a meal with some berries and a scoop of greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I don't feel deprived and my brain gets the signal that dinner is over.

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_moesy View Post
    I also really love Fage total for a snack. So rich and luscious that I eat some and I am all full again. Problem solved. I would rather eat Fage than a donut and I am, er, was a donut junkie.
    ohhh fellow former doughnut junkie! I after weeks of avoidance I had the chance to pass up my temptation yesterday .. I think I am finally over my past lover.. (doughnut)
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    My problem is head hunger. My body doesn't need anything - rarely am I hungry. But I find myself wanting to forage in the fridge because my brain isn't right. It's kind of a b*tch to deal with!!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    When I get that "I just wanna munch on something" compulsion, I grab some crunchy veggies from the fridge. It usually does the trick.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A couple of things come to mind. First, I completely agree with the increase the fat advice. It really triggers my brain to stop asking for food. Another thing is that appetite can naturally cycle between voracious and barely there, so it could just be a time thing. I do find when I really want a little something sweet after dinner a couple pieces of dark chocolate with some cold grass-fed butter on it will usually stop the snacking. And last, but not least, I do find IF helpful in this situation. I set a time of the night where I consider myself fasting and then cut myself off from food. The hunger usually goes away after a bit and then I feel great.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast