Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the event of a gov't shutdown, I need cheap and healthy meal ideas! page

athenalove46 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation In the event of a gov't shutdown, I need cheap and healthy meal ideas!

Primal Fuel
    I am sure everyone has been up to date on what has been happening in the news. We are a military family and are looking at not receiving a paycheck or 2 (who knows how long it will take for them to get their acts together). We do have a savings fund, but it isn't a lot. Hence the request for cheap and healthy meals! It always takes me FOREVER to come up with a week's worth of dinners, and I find that when I do plan it out I save big $$. And that has never been more essential than now. If everyone could just post 1 cheap/quick/nutritious meal it would help me a ton (and I'm sure others)! Just trying to get some ideas to add to the menu.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    What about a pork picnic shoulder - slow cooked - dh found them onsale this week for .99/lb 1 shoulder should last 2-3days. is there a local farmers market or CSA - where you could pick produce for the farmer in exchange for fresh veggies?
    same goes for chuck roast ect. look for whats on sale in the commissary and stock up and put it in your freezer...

spend some $ on some seedlings and plant your own garden... it will go a long way and produce your own veggies.

athenalove46 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! I do have a garden growing but nothing is ready yet! lol Except some strawberries, but I don't think we can live off of the 20 or so that we've got going. I will be going to the Commissary today and seeing what's on sale. Pork roast is always a good bet. I'm so angry because we were going to get our cow last week and the farm never got back to us so we are SOL on our meat. GAH! Farms are far and few between around here, but I will definitely look into working for produce.

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    Stock up on eggs if you can or get yourself a hen =) Buy and freeze meat that is on sale. Frozen veggies are more nutritious than canned (or so I've been told). If you eat nuts and nut butters find a place to buy some nuts in bulk and freeze those as well.

It never occurred to me that a government shutdown means military doesn't get paid. What the effing hell? I'm sure all of those GD senators will still get their lifetime pay and benefits. ARGH!
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I second what Jillian said. Eggs are cheap and a great source of protein. Make egg muffins, crustless quiches with meat and veggies lots of different things. The nice things about the egg muffins and quiches is that they freeze well. Also get some whole chickens, make your own stock and freeze that. How do you think people got by in the depression? Soup with whatever bits you have left around.
    Georgette

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Another thing you can look at is signing up at your local food bank... it might not be optimal...but it will help you get through the shutdown.... effing congress. did you know congress has the option to pay back their salaries back into the pot - but very few if any do....

bix
    bix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Also get some whole chickens, make your own stock and freeze that. How do you think people got by in the depression? Soup with whatever bits you have left around.
    Soup from scratch is quite possibly the best "poverty" food ever. Try different ethnic soups, too.
    I always freeze veggies that are on the verge of going bad and toss them in soups, or just make stock out of the veggies themselves.

This weekend I did offal meatballs - liver is pretty cheap, and a pound or two of grassfed beef is not too bad (and with beef you can probably do conventional if you have to). It took a while but made a ton of meatballs. Spiced properly (mine were fennel, basil, garlic, onion) they are insanely delicious and not very liver-ey at all.

Good luck, this whole shutdown thing is ridiculous

handgallop is offline Member
    I fortunately just got a boatload of eggs from a neighbor, that should last me a bit

I think maybe this is where buying some big cuts of meat could help. At the outset, it's expensive, but it can feed you for longer periods of time and can work out cheaper per-serving. Roasts (pork shoulder roasts, beef, etc) might be something to look into.

Some of the cheaper roasts can be a bit harder to cook up and make tender/flavorful, but it's still real food. There's some good stuff on thehungrymouse.com on preparing cheaper cuts of meat (it's a carb heavy site, but still a lot on cooking big hunks of animal protein)

RezH is offline Senior Member
    FYI, "essential" employees will still get paid during a shutdown, including military personnel.

handgallop is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    FYI, "essential" employees will still get paid during a shutdown, including military personnel.
    Not sure if this is true for the military, but our "essential" employees will not be paid during the shutdown. If they do get paid, it will likely be after we're all back at work, and congress has to pass something to pay them retroactively.

The military, I think, is guaranteed pay but may not receive it will the shutdown is in effect, at least that was my understanding (which could be very wrong, as I have been trying not to watch the news since it makes me crazy).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast