Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Increase Your Reps on Pull-ups page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up How to Increase Your Reps on Pull-ups

Hey Guys -

Since people are always asking me how to increase your reps on pull-ups, I made it the subject of my blog today.

Comments are always appreciated.

Keep training hard!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    <3 it AL! working my way to doing un assisted pull ups right now... I can do 12 w/ 1leg assist... working on getting #13 it does take practice...took me 1month to get to the 1leg assisted pullups... progress is progress...

Skull Pilot is offline Junior Member
    Grease the groove

Grease the Groove: How to Increase Pushups and Increase Pull Ups | Not Your Average Fitness Tips

Grease the Groove

Pavel Tsatsouline is a former trainer for the Soviet Special Forces. Pavel came up with a simple equation for getting better at particular exercises:

Specificity + Frequent Practice = Success

What does this mean? It means you have to perform a specific exercise over and over again to get better at it. As Pavel says, “if you want to get good at pull ups, why not try to do…a lot of pull ups?” The key is not training to failure. I think this is best explained with an example. If you can perform a maximum of 10 pull ups, then you’ll want to train by performing 5-8 reps, 3-4 times per day, 4-6 days per week. Heck, you could even hang a pull up bar in your doorway and just do 5 pull ups every time you walk through that door. Now that’s practice!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yes, doing results in being able to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    <3 it AL! working my way to doing un assisted pull ups right now... I can do 12 w/ 1leg assist... working on getting #13 it does take practice...took me 1month to get to the 1leg assisted pullups... progress is progress...
    Grok on! Keep training hard and you'll get a full pull-up in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Pilot View Post
    Grease the Groove

Pavel Tsatsouline is a former trainer for the Soviet Special Forces. Pavel came up with a simple equation for getting better at particular exercises:

Specificity + Frequent Practice = Success

What does this mean? It means you have to perform a specific exercise over and over again to get better at it. As Pavel says, “if you want to get good at pull ups, why not try to do…a lot of pull ups?” The key is not training to failure. I think this is best explained with an example. If you can perform a maximum of 10 pull ups, then you’ll want to train by performing 5-8 reps, 3-4 times per day, 4-6 days per week. Heck, you could even hang a pull up bar in your doorway and just do 5 pull ups every time you walk through that door. Now that’s practice!
    Well said - thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yes, doing results in being able to do more.
    Guess I'm preaching to the choir over here.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    You forgot the most important tip for the bigger folks - lose weight! I found my pull up capacity went up from 3 in a row to over 30 when I lost 60 pounds.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    What crazy is when I was younger I could bang out 25w/o a problem... but then I could also bang out 150+ push ups w/o problems too... ahhh for the days of youth...and military basic training!
    Now I'm just working on changing body composition, eating well, and building strength and mass...eventually 25 pullups will be in my future...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Destroyer View Post
    You forgot the most important tip for the bigger folks - lose weight! I found my pull up capacity went up from 3 in a row to over 30 when I lost 60 pounds.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    What crazy is when I was younger I could bang out 25w/o a problem... but then I could also bang out 150+ push ups w/o problems too... ahhh for the days of youth...and military basic training!
    Now I'm just working on changing body composition, eating well, and building strength and mass...eventually 25 pullups will be in my future...
    Keep doing your thing - if you did 25 pull-ups in the past, no reason why you can do it again in the future!

Buffalo Chip is offline Member
    Thanks for this, Al. For some reason, I have never been able to crack 10 reps of pullups. With no training, I could do about 6, and gradually worked my way up to 9 (sometimes 10) reps through weight training and what not. I just started training again and these days I can do 7. I will try some of your techniques. It seems that it should not be that hard, but for some reason, for me, it is.

As for the Australian pullups - is it more difficult to do them with a higher bar, or lower bar? I'm guessing the lower the bar is, the more challenging, yes?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Chip View Post
    As for the Australian pullups - is it more difficult to do them with a higher bar, or lower bar? I'm guessing the lower the bar is, the more challenging, yes?
    yes, and to make them harder still you can put your feet on a box
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast