Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whole body workout vs part-specific days? page

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

whole body workout vs part-specific days?

Shop Now
    So, for a while I was doing whole body workouts, primarily bodyweight and weighted bodyweight exercises (e.g., weighted dips and pushups). I've had a few sessions with a trainer to work on my squat and deadlifts, and he's pushing me into a three day a week routine (chest/arms/shoulders, legs, back). So on my back day, I'm doing deadlifts, pullups, rows and the like. Legs are squats, good mornings and some isolation exercises (I may be ditching those, not pleased with sitting on the leg extension machine!) and chest days are weighted dips, chinups, and some chest, biceps and triceps work.

My goal is two-fold: Get stronger and add muscle mass. I'm 5'11", 182 or so, and nearly 40. I'm not really interested in doing a Starting Strength routine, since my body needs more time to recover, but am I better off doing three days a week with just a little overlap on the body parts, or two days a week whole body (can't do three days a week, I wouldn't be able to move). Thoughts? Thanks.

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    id go with 2 days a week full body barbell lifts. you build muscle while you sleep so the recovery is very important. you can do SS with just 2 days a week. the body builder split usually doesnt give you adequate rest, lift heavy twice a week and just get some play time in on rest days.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    +1 to above.

I'll be 38 in May, am 5'11" and hover about 175-180.

I've been doing a modified StrongLifts 5x5 program for a while now with good progress. I started out doing 3x per week on the recommended exercises but as I got up higher in weight (~1.2-1.3 BW squat) I stopped doing squats every workout and went to 2x per week with a HIIT, intense play (mountain biking or trail running mostly) or a sprint workout in place of the third.

I recently went back to 3x per week but still only do the squats on the "A" day and lead with deadlifts on the "B" day. I've also gone to 3x5 on squats and OHP so the volume is decreased a bit and recovery is good.

I'm not merely talking about 2 vs 3 days. The two days would hit the same bodyparts (full body). The 3 days work different bodyparts, with some overlap on 2 of the days, not all three. Basically, I'd be doing the big three (squats, deads, bench (but modified to be weighted pushups or dips)) on three different days, with some minor overlap between the exercises on one of the other days, but not both of the other days.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I dont know it feels like a 3 split is just an excuse to not work the legs enough. People don't like squatting. Other than that, with the chosen exercises there is a bunch of overlap anyways: Pullups and rows are going to work your arms, proper deadlifts are going to work your legs, glutes, hips, good mornings are a back exercise not a leg exercise... The split is very artificial. Upper/lower body split (legs and lower back / chest, arms, middle and upper back) has less overlap and I quite liked doing it myself, but the olympic lifts don't really fit in if you are so inclined.

Actually, I like squatting quite a bit.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Life doesn't require us to split our bodyparts up so why follow that in your training?

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Life doesn't require us to split our bodyparts up so why follow that in your training?
    +1

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say there is nothing wrong with a 3 day split. I've worked out both ways, and both are effective. If you've been doing a whole body schedule, changing up to a split may shock your body back into progress if you've been stalling. I'm getting ready to shift into a 3 day split myself after doing full body workouts for about a year now, then when I feel the time is right, I'll shift back.

If you are fit, your age really shouldn't matter too much. I'm 45, workout 7 days a week, sometimes more than once a day. Just be smart and don't hit the same exercises over and over again during the week, and you'll be fine.

Don
    Don is offline Member
    I tend to do a 3 day split. Push/Pull/and lower body.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast