Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangover Remedies??? Anyone....? -- Decidedly Un-Primal page

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member

Hangover Remedies??? Anyone....? -- Decidedly Un-Primal

So I realize that over imbibing is totally against the whole primal thing, but lets face it, I'm a 24 year old guy with his own place and a best bud who was the first person I ever drank with and we've known each other for the majority of those years.

My favorite after-drinking remedy has always been buttered toast, and that sure isn't primal. I just can't think of anything primal that would help.

I'm sure some of you must have suggestions.... please?

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Eggs and bacon....fat and grease is what you need
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    lots of water at the end of the night. better to have a glass of water between each drink but that can be hard. I always want sweet stuff the next day, if your like me fruit is a good option. Someone posted a recipe for ice cream with coconut milk and frozen raspberries-that might be tummy settling (cold always helps me but gnawing on ice cubes is boring).

Like Pattyd said-grease and fat is always good too (if your tummy can handle it). Rivin has a yummy primal bread recipe in the Recipe forum that might help (and you can toast it and smear with butter).

hmmm....can't think of any others. Hope that helps
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

norak is offline Senior Member
    Eggs, bacon and a glass of full fat milk either makes me feel great or makes me want to throw up. It's a bit risky, but when it works it's awesome.

Tiggadyrue is offline Member
    Complex vitamin B's before your drinking binge and another after and make sure you get plenty of water in between the drinking! Helps sooo much, even though I am not a big fan of getting drunk I sure do like to indulge once in awhile and hate getting those headaches as a result! good luck!

Also, if you are comfortable with (over-the-counter) medications, a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen does wonders for a hangover. It's not primal, but it's very effective.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Also, if you are comfortable with (over-the-counter) medications, a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen does wonders for a hangover. It's not primal, but it's very effective.
    This is important -- don't ever take aspirin, Tylenol or ibuprofen while drinking or before passing out at the end of the night (unless directed to do so by a physician).

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is metabolized by the liver and the combination of alcohol and acetaminophen can cause your liver to release a toxic metabolite. Alcohol mixed with acetaminophen is very dangerous and can do serious damage to your liver. Tylenol was recently forced to include warnings on its packaging telling its users not to mix it with alcohol. Ibuprofen is metabolized by your liver as well.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I 2nd the water recommendation. Hangovers are mainly due to dehydration. Plenty of water is your best bet, and then eating will help provide some nutrients which may help.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I 2nd the water recommendation. Hangovers are mainly due to dehydration. Plenty of water is your best bet, and then eating will help provide some nutrients which may help.
    I've read they're due to congeners?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    This is important -- don't ever take aspirin, Tylenol or ibuprofen while drinking or before passing out at the end of the night (unless directed to do so by a physician).

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is metabolized by the liver and the combination of alcohol and acetaminophen can cause your liver to release a toxic metabolite. Alcohol mixed with acetaminophen is very dangerous and can do serious damage to your liver. Tylenol was recently forced to include warnings on its packaging telling its users not to mix it with alcohol. Ibuprofen is metabolized by your liver as well.
    Yeah. I meant the day after drinking. Never combine either of those with alcohol.

I assumed people will read the package instructions before taking any medication, and preferably consult with their doctor if they have special medical conditions or are already medicated, but I guess it's always good to be on the safe side. You new know how people will relate to random advice they find on the Internet...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast