Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Peat on Sugar vs Starch page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Ray Peat on Sugar vs Starch

Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

Interesting article (though a bit muddled at the end) that makes a lot of sense to me.

My n=1 experience is that I feel better when I eat about 10-30 gm of sucrose (usually in the form of dark chocolate or Ice cream, immediately after a Primal meal of meat/eggs & green veggies.) Berries are fine, too, but higher fructose fruit doesn't work for me because I don't digest it properly (genetic thing.)

Your thoughts?

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Beware Ray "fructose is better than glucose" peat.
    Some good ideas, but read with skepticism.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    Beware Ray "fructose is better than glucose" peat.
    Some good ideas, but read with skepticism.
    Can you say more? Links?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read the whole thing, but doesn't he say that fructose or sucrose are ok in the absence of polyunsaturated fats in the diet?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Bumping because I wondering if anyone else has anything to say on this one. I've found I don't get on with LC, but starches give me joint pain, so wondering where to go from here.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    Potatoes seem to give me joint pain, and I don't tolerate anything fiberous yet (I get very bloated from gas), so I've been doing more of a primal/Ray Peat style diet--grassfed meats, seafood, gelatin bone broth, coconut oil, raw dairy (butter, cream, milk, ice cream, cheese), honey, fruits (whatever I can find ripe--mangos, bananas, pineapple occasionally, lots of oranges, berries), dark chocolate, a little greens and other veg, white rice, a little turbinado sugar, raw honey...
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ika View Post
    Potatoes seem to give me joint pain, and I don't tolerate anything fiberous yet (I get very bloated from gas), so I've been doing more of a primal/Ray Peat style diet--grassfed meats, seafood, gelatin bone broth, coconut oil, raw dairy (butter, cream, milk, ice cream, cheese), honey, fruits (whatever I can find ripe--mangos, bananas, pineapple occasionally, lots of oranges, berries), dark chocolate, a little greens and other veg, white rice, a little turbinado sugar, raw honey...
    Did you have the potato with the skin on, or off?
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    I've tried both. I'm not really sure it was the potato, but I think it was. Potato juice, cooked, doesn't seem to bother me, though.
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Bumping because I wondering if anyone else has anything to say on this one. I've found I don't get on with LC, but starches give me joint pain, so wondering where to go from here.

I am in the exact same boat. LC makes me feel like crap and I don't mean the 'carb flu', it just doesn't go away for me, I am talking months with no relief and when you are a wife, mother and employee it is too hard a hurdle to jump unfortunately. So I have been increasing starches (mainly sweet potatoes) and hello joint pain (thanks to AS). I have decided that I would rather live with the joint pain than the severe brain fogginess and complete exhaustion that never seems to disappear. It has nearly caused me to have multiple car accidents as I just cannot think straight. So pain for me it is :-( This is quite strange but i have found my joint pain to be much worse with potatoes than bread.........I know, go figure???? Couldn't be more confused if I wanted to be!

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you think it's the sweet potatoes that's giving the joint pain? I know regular potatoe is considered a nightshade which promote arthritis inflammation in people apparantley, so if you are consuming white potatoe or other nightshades frequently (capsicum, eggplant and tomatoe) you might want to adjust your diet accordingly. I too have noticed some joint pain but i figured sweet potatoe is considered ok...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast