Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrowroot powder/flour page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

Arrowroot powder/flour

Shop Now
    What's the general consensus? Good? Or bad?

On one hand, it's whole food, just ground tuber.

Is there an 'on the other hand'?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I use it as a thickener/starch. I can't use cornstarch so this is a good sub.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

peril is offline Senior Member
    Don't know of any other hand. Just don't forget that its a source of calories
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    It's just a starch. Like potato starch (just with shorter amylose chains than potato, if I recall, so it's not as strong of a thickener initially, but is more heat stable).

Quote Originally Posted by Doddibot View Post
    It's just a starch. Like potato starch (just with shorter amylose chains than potato, if I recall, so it's not as strong of a thickener initially, but is more heat stable).
    And doesn't taste potato-y or have a weird texture when you use it to thicken gravy! lol
    -John Lennon

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Though one of the things with arrowroot is, while it thickens very quickly, it breaks down again if you keep heating it. So you need to add it right at the end of your cooking. If you're making something ahead and want to reheat it later, it likely will be unthickened.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    And doesn't taste potato-y or have a weird texture when you use it to thicken gravy! lol
    Yes, the texture is due to the chain length. Potato starch has very long chains, so needs a bit more heat to break it down so it doesn't seem stringy. Arrowroot, on the other hand, already has short amylose chains, so can be used for thickening just before serving.

Arrowroot does have a taste, but it's very subtle compared to some potato starches (which are commonly extracted from potato skins, which also have most of the potato flavour)

Quote Originally Posted by Doddibot View Post
    Yes, the texture is due to the chain length. Potato starch has very long chains, so needs a bit more heat to break it down so it doesn't seem stringy. Arrowroot, on the other hand, already has short amylose chains, so can be used for thickening just before serving.

Arrowroot does have a taste, but it's very subtle compared to some potato starches (which are commonly extracted from potato skins, which also have most of the potato flavour)
    Cool, that is so interesting! Thanks!
    -John Lennon

Speaking of ground tubers, has anyone found sweet potato starch in their local Asian supermarket? There seems to be a general feeling in the primal community that sweet potato is better than potato, so I'd be interested to know if anyone has used sweet potato starch.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato is not better than potato, despite the common beliefs. Sweet potato is a new world food too. Peel your potatoes and enjoy them, they have more vitamin c and potassium too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast