Thread: [B]Tests for Flexibility[/B] page

Digby is offline Senior Member

[B]Tests for Flexibility[/B]

Shop Now
    I remember having a couple flexibility tests in my twenties (40 years ago) at my doctor's, but no one seems to talk about it much these days. What do you coaches and other fitness experts consider good marks or tests of normal flexibility. I can still bend and touch the floor with my hands, which I always heard was good test for back flexibility.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Hamstrings, too.

I wrote a blog about assessing your flexibility a little while back.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sghulett is offline Senior Member
    work on your core first then work on back stretching. I am a huge back advocate and if your core is not worked you can really injure your back even doing a simple forward bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Hamstrings, too.

Thanks, Al; a good post.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Thanks, Al; a good post.
    Thanks!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

tommyho1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Hamstrings, too.

hey, so im after some advice - when i try to do the test where you lie on your back and put your arms straight above your head and try to make your wrists touch the floor? i am quite a long way from being able to do this. i am aware that i have bad posture and rounded shoulders. what stretches do you recommend that will target this problem. apart from this, i am in excellent shape, very lean and strong but just have bad posture. i am concerned that it may even be to the extent that it can be termed "kyphosis".

Hey Tommy,

At the bottom of the blog post referenced above, I demonstrate my favorite stretch for the upper back. Give it another look when you get a chance.

You should also try this stretch:

Keep in mind that it takes lots and lots of time, patience and consistency to improve flexibility. Try to stretch several times a day and hold your stretches for a long time. Think about how much time you've spent reinforcing your bad posture - it could take just as long to undo the damage.

In addition to Al's recommendations, I was given a great stretch from my pt for shoulder impingement that is in part caused by things like sitting over keyboard/desk For years which rounds the shoulders: lf you have a weight bench, lie on your back and put your arms straight out to the sides; this helps to stretch out those tight musles. Do for five minutes or more, then after a few days add some light weights in your hands; or I got a styrofoam roll to lie on from the pt, but I think the bench works better. I was very surprised by how tight those muscles were. But since rotator cuff surgery Feb 1, I can now touch my wrists to floor--and I'm in my 60s.