Thread: Thai Spicy Pumpkin soup page

Suse is offline Senior Member

Thai Spicy Pumpkin soup

Primal Fuel
    As requested! This soup is delish!

1 bunch coriander (or cilantro as you call it in the US) with roots
    1 tblspn peanut oil (or use olive if you're dead set against the nut oils)
    1 brown onion, finely choped
    3cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    1kg pumpkin (i used a whole butternut), chopped and diced
    1 cup coconut milk (or coconut cream)
    2tblspn fish sauce
    2tblspn lime juice (or lemon)
    1tspn brown sugar

Wash coriander and finely chop root and 2cm of stalk. Roughly chop leaves for use as garnish later

Heat oil in saucepan over med heat. Add coriander root and stalk, onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. Stir well until combined and cook approx 3 mins until onion is tender. Add pumpkin and 2 cups cold water to pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until pumpkin is tender. Cool slightly. Blend until smooth and return to clean saucepan over a med heat. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Simmer

Serve with a swirl of extra coconut milk and coriander leaves.

Serves 4.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting, this is right up my alley, sans sugar.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Suse is offline Senior Member
    it's only a teaspn of sugar, but I guess if you're going hardcore, you can go without... But those thai flavours often need the sweet, sour, spicy, thing going on I find ...

Digby is offline Senior Member
    This sounds wonderful. I'll leave out the sugar, but anything with pumpkin/butternut squash has to be delicious.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Thank you darlin'
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good to me. I'd use coconut oil for the frying, leave out the sugar and massively increase the chilli. Pumpkin, onion and coconut milk are sweet enough for me and the chilli will provide the flavour enhancement that the sugar would have. After ll, if you're not crying its not a proper Thai soup
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine