Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still gaining and depressed :( page

Still gaining and depressed :(

Primal Fuel
    Greetings!
    A lot of you by now have read my story so I won't go into it again. Anywho, I've been on PB since October/November 2010. I lost about 4 lbs. and an inch in the waist and a little in the hips. After about a month it came back plus a couple pounds. (No changes in diet or exercise) So I took the advice of more experienced PB-ers and cut out nut butters and most dairy and changed to HIIT workouts. The same thing happened again! So, I started VLC about the end of January/beginning of Feb. and once again, the same thing has happened.
    I rotate workouts every few weeks. I'm keeping up on my weights, walking and cardio. I try to rotate in some HIITS every few weeks. I watch my calories on the days I don't work out, eat a little more on the days I do. I try to have a 300 calorie deficit every day. I have fasted one day a week since starting VLC. It is so very important to me that I do not go back to being overweight.
    Could it be that the high fat and low carb does not work for me? I'm almost up to the next size in pants and not sure what to do about it. I think my body hates me. . .
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    I am too new at Primal to be of help on that front. But have you had your levels checked by a doctor? Such as your thyroid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    I am too new at Primal to be of help on that front. But have you had your levels checked by a doctor? Such as your thyroid?
    Thank you! Yes, I have and everything is normal.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! Yes, I have and everything is normal.
    Then you don't have a calorie deficit, despite your estimates/tracking.
    FWIW, I haven't read your previous thread!

Most people underestimate the number of calories they are eating and overestimate their basal metabolic rate. To make things clearer, I ate 100% Primal and tracked my calories very carefully (via FitDay) for a week. Then I dropped my calories by 500 and ate vlc, to make it easier to maintain the deficit. I consistently lost body fat. This is one way to do it. Short term (I only did it for 6 weeks) can really help motivate you and create more awareness around food portions.

Another way to create a calorie deficit is Intermittent Fasting. Reducing my eating window to 8 hours (from noon to 8pm) and eating to just before I am full has worked equally well. I follow LeanSaloon's blog for IF advice. IFing has other benefits as well--and I got bored tracking, so this is what I am doing now to lean out.

If your increase is compounded by inflammation, then you need to totally cut out dairy and or nightshades for a couple of week to see if they are causing a problem.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and please don't post twice in different forums--so confusing!

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member
    I don't remember your earlier posts - some additional info would be helpful. What is your current age/weight/height? Around how many calories do you eat?

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Make sure to lower all stressors. Fasting can be a stressor, be careful with it. HIIT can be too stressful too if your doing it too much, but it looks ike your not. And, as Dragonfly said, check up on your calories. I think to lose weight you should be eating 15-17 calories per body weight (not too sure though). I also hear some people cannot lose with dairy, cut it out for a while and see how it goes. Cut out nuts too. It usually ends up that the people who have trouble losing the weight may have stubborn bodies, but also still have some bad eating habits that they are overlooking. Good luck, i hope at least one of us gives the answer to your problems

P.S. If your not losing weight eating paleo, your certainly not going to do it eating CW style, grains offer nothing you can't get eating paleo... unless your some freak of nature who's body actually requires gluten for breaking down fat for energy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sanepsycho View Post
    I don't remember your earlier posts - some additional info would be helpful. What is your current age/weight/height? Around how many calories do you eat?
    I've been battling weight since the age of four and come from an overweight family. From 23-24 I went from about 250 lbs. to 150 lbs. and kept if off for about 4 yrs. on a low cal. SAD until a pregnancy. I've tried four different diets since November of 2010 and nothing has worked so far. I'm only 5 ft. 2 in. I've had things checked since the pregnancy and everything is "normal." The doctor basically did not believe me that I'm working my tail off to lose weight. So, not much help there. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Then you don't have a calorie deficit, despite your estimates/tracking.
    FWIW, I haven't read your previous thread!

Most people underestimate the number of calories they are eating and overestimate their basal metabolic rate. To make things clearer, I ate 100% Primal and tracked my calories very carefully (via FitDay) for a week. Then I dropped my calories by 500 and ate vlc, to make it easier to maintain the deficit. I consistently lost body fat. This is one way to do it. Short term (I only did it for 6 weeks) can really help motivate you and create more awareness around food portions.

Another way to create a calorie deficit is Intermittent Fasting. Reducing my eating window to 8 hours (from noon to 8pm) and eating to just before I am full has worked equally well. I follow LeanSaloon's blog for IF advice. IFing has other benefits as well--and I got bored tracking, so this is what I am doing now to lean out.

If your increase is compounded by inflammation, then you need to totally cut out dairy and or nightshades for a couple of week to see if they are causing a problem.
    I thank you for the thought, but please do not lecture me on that front. I keep a very careful journal. On VLC I've been getting most carbs from veggies. I posted in both to hopefully get more help that way.
    Last edited by trebleclef01; 04-06-2011 at 02:25 PM.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by trebleclef01 View Post
    I've tried four different diets since November of 2010
    I thought you've been primal since that time? Do you just mean different variations of primal?

Can you tell us what you typically consume in a day?

Also, on VLC you get carbs only from veggies. Are you eating fruit or nuts?
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast