Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression... page

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member

Depression...

O_O
    This is a lengthy video but worth a view. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that Big Pharma and their goons including doctors will go to medicate.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I want to watch it, really I do, but I cannot stand videos that provide visuals for words… if all parts are like the one I just watched then this is something that would just upset me. We can call it Visual Aid Anxiety.

(for all confused, what I mean is, if the narrator is saying “what if all we have been told is a lie?” and the video is showing the same words in a dramatic over-blown fashion then this results in a rise of blood pressure for me)

However, isn’t some stuff like Bipolar an actual condition? I don’t buy ADHD or anything like that, but I thought Bipolar disorder at least was some real stuff …

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    However, isn't some stuff like Bipolar an actual condition? I don't buy ADHD or anything like that, but I thought Bipolar disorder at least was some real stuff
    iniQuity, it's all real . The distress caused by any of the symptoms, whether it's diagnosed as ADD, ADHD, bipolar, personality disorder, schizophrenia or depression. All real. The question, I think, is why. Most of these major 'diseases' are being 'treated' via the brain, but we don't actually know that it's a brain issue. Well, some of us are pretty sure it's gut and inflammatory issues.

Knowing the causes will help in the future, but for now anyone caught in the great machine of psychiatry, for any reason at all, will be in pain and distress.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I don't have time to watch the video, but I read Mercola's comments. To be honest, I've always thought he is full of shit, and this hasn't changed my opinion.

He does get a lot of things right - antidepressants are over-prescribed, antidepressants are dangerous, and antidepressants don't cure depression.

But, the assertion that depression isn't a "'real' mental illness" is absurd, and insulting to those of us who are struggling with depression. I'd think that a medical doctor would understand that major depressive disorder is way more than just feeling sad. This portion is particularly offensive:

Are Emotional Symptoms Really Signs of Mental Illness?

Clearly, there are "real" mental illnesses that can destroy any semblance of normalcy in a person's life. But are you mentally ill when you're sad for more than a couple of weeks?

Is losing zest for life a sign of mental illness?

Where does the normal grieving process fit into our modern lives—is it something that should be drugged, or is it a normal phase of life that everyone on the planet has to move through? And when does an emotional phase go from being a natural part of the changing emotional landscape that is life to a problem that needs to be "fixed"?

Many are quick to defend their choice to take drugs. No one wants to "feel bad." But are these drugs destroying lives rather than saving them?

I believe the answer is a resounding YES at this point.

Rather than helping people address the root cause of their suffering, psychiatry has now simply resorted to a chemical form of lobotomy to "make the problem go away."
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Antidepressants are overprescribed, but some depressive illnesses do come with detectable differences in brain development. There's some really interesting research on the area being done on people with PTSD, particularly those who experienced severe trauma in childhood. Just because drug companies hype some conditions in order to sell questionably effective drugs doesn't mean that all depressive illnesses don't have a biological element. Eating better and exercising more does help a lot of people with depression, but some depressive disorders need more intervention than that. I get that people don't like the idea of taking drugs every day, but I also know that for some people with major depressive disorder and similar conditions (as compared to the mild-to-moderate depression discussed in the article), more is needed than the simple steps listed in that article.

However, I also strongly dislike SSRIs, and particularly the speed with which docs will write a scrip for them if someone is even mildly depressed.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jac
    Good grief, I just watched the video and I have to say I think he's full of crap!! This is just more propaganda, with no 'proof' at all. I'd worry that people who are getting some benefit from meds will be invalidated and even isolated further as a result of this kind of pseudo-science.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

O_O
    Mercola didn't make the video.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    There's some really interesting research on the area being done on people with PTSD, particularly those who experienced severe trauma in childhood.
    I was at a great conference last year where researchers showed MRIs of people who were traumatised as children. Some of their neural pathways simply stopped growing until the trauma receded, which tended to be in their early 20s. At that time, their neural pathways had begun to grow again.

Also re depression and psychosis, there are clear changes to the brain. The thing is that CW in this area says that the changes cause the distress, rather than considering that the changes might be a result of the distress. Changing that mindset will open up new ways of working with distress.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that Big Pharma and their goons including doctors will go to medicate.
    +10000000
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast