Thread: Blood Pressure page

llewin is offline Member

Blood Pressure

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the primal/paleo/low/nocarb diet concept.

About 4 weeks ago I had a kidney stone for the first time... worst pain EVER! During that week I was in the ER twice, an urgent care clinic once, and two other doctors visits. Each time my BP was reported to me as in a healthy range, though I didn't get the exact numbers.

I went in to my primary care provider (new doc, I don't usually have a PCP or see a doctor at all, but since i"m starting a sudden change in diet I thought getting some base-line information on my health would be a good idea...) I had seen this doc once during the kidney stone situation, and with him my BP was good as well. However, during this recent visit my numbers were 'very high' 140/100 I think is what he said.

My only major change between 4 weeks ago with good BP and this recent BP check is this diet change to low/no carb, high protein/high fat.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this something I need to be worried about?

Basic stats:
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 348lbs (was 360lbs with kidney stones 4 weeks ago)
    approx body fat%: 40%

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there is enough info to really comment. We don't know if the kidney stone incident changed anything one way or the other, or what the numbers were before.

I wouldn't worry about it. You picked a good diet plan. Stick with it. The numbers should improve.

I'm 5'8", 50, and went from about 315 and 4X shirts to 200 and L/M on low carb/Primal, along with correcting some medical issues. My BP was usually pretty good, even when I was big, but sometimes it was above the healthy range. Now it's typically 110/60, and it will vary 20 points depending on if I am sick or not, which is pretty rare these days.

I have a lot of medical people wonder if something is wrong because the BP is too good. haha

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    My BP is a good bit lower on a paleo diet. I agree with DFH, give it some time...
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Hello llewin,

I was severely hypertensive for the past decade (I'm 34 now) where bp would range from 150/60 to 200/100. Years and years of tests and appointments with cardiologists and I was left with no definitive answer to my high bp and to take 4 Rx pills a day to control. Those 4 pills still didn't control my bp, anxiety, etc.

Switched to Paleo about 4 months ago and also take Omega 3, D3 and K2 supplements and my bp and anxiety is better controlled now than with Rx intervention.

It will take time but your body with respond soon enough to eating what it is supposed to consume.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vladex is offline Junior Member
    just supplement with arginine to lower blood pressure

peril is offline Senior Member
    Why describe PB as high protein? It isn't. How much protein are you getting? If you've gone VLC (PB doesn't recommend this by the way, but it is allowed) then you need to make up the lost calories with fat while keeping prein constant at 0.7-1g per pound of lean body mass, depending on activity

Also consider a magnesium supplement
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

llewin is offline Member
    High Protein, more protein than I used to eat.

I'm between the .7 and 1g range. but that's still more than the CW diet recommends in my experience.

llewin is offline Member
    Huh... Mark had the exact same reading I had, on a one-time doc visit...

Makes My Blood Boil | Mark's Daily Apple

maybe I should pick up some equipment to check my BP from home...

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by llewin View Post
    Huh... Mark had the exact same reading I had, on a one-time doc visit...

Makes My Blood Boil | Mark's Daily Apple

maybe I should pick up some equipment to check my BP from home...
    I highly recommend checking from home. I am always elevated in a Dr.s office.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/