Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your own cleaning supplies, cheap, no unecessary chemicals, easy page

Make your own cleaning supplies, cheap, no unecessary chemicals, easy

Primal Fuel
    Ok so currently I make all my own laundry soap, dishwashing soap, soft scrubbing agents for bathrooms, and toilet bowl cleaner. I'm going to even expand further but I just wanted to share that all the recipes are simple and found easily online. They work very well at cleaning and I save so much $$$. I mean I use my homemade laundry soap that is less than 3 cents a load, which is like 7 to 10 times less than store bought cleaners. I also save on all the other cleaners I make and I am not adding endless plastic bottles to landfills. The chemicals I use are more natural and do not include all sorts of *extras* either.

So here are a few links if anyone is interested. Give it a try and I know you will love it.

10 Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipes : TipNut.com

Farmhouse Blessings: Frugal Living ~ Homemade Soft Scrub

Also never buy those expensive rinse aids for your dishwasher. They all include white vinegar as an agent. So I have been filling my rinse container with cheap and easy vinegar and my dishes come out spotless every time.

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    I make all my own cleaners besides laundry, and dish washing. Our water here is so hard, and nasty that nothing was getting clean. Clothes would come out dingy, and smelly, and dishes in the dishwasher looked like I poured a gallon of milk on them (white spots coated the dishes ick). I still use very green products even though I did not make them myself. I also use white vinegar in place of fabric softener, and makes the best non streak glass cleaner(1/2 water 1/2 vinegar, and a drop of dish soap). We save a huge amount of money doing this. =)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing! I've been making some of my own cleaning supplies for a while, but there are some there I didn't know. I did just review Tropical Traditions All Purpose Cleaner (and am giving some away on my blog) and I think that stuff is absolutely wonderful- a lot easier than making stuff. I guess it's more a supplement than a replacer for homemade cleaners though.

canio6 Guest
    We have horrible amounts of calcium in our water and it is all around the faucet and aroudn the drain in the tub etc. I have tried all the commercial calcium/lime removers with very limited success. Any homemade tips for that?

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    We have horrible amounts of calcium in our water and it is all around the faucet and aroudn the drain in the tub etc. I have tried all the commercial calcium/lime removers with very limited success. Any homemade tips for that?
    You could try to add some vinegar to the soft scrub recipe. It will bubble up some, just let it bubble until done. Then add the paste to the calcium deposits and let sit for 15 minutes. Then come back and give it a good scrub. That worked on my Iron (red) stains in my previous home. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by freethinkingcavewoman View Post
    I also use white vinegar in place of fabric softener, and makes the best non streak glass cleaner(1/2 water 1/2 vinegar, and a drop of dish soap). We save a huge amount of money doing this. =)
    Have not tried the glass cleaner yet. That will be next. These homemade things seem to clean better than any store bought stuff I've used over the years anyway.

My daughter was allergic to most cleaners until recently. She would break out in a rash unless I used the more expensive dye and purfume free stuff. So that got me exploring more natural options. It has worked great for me so far.

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    I use 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water and a TBSP of orange oil as my all purpose cleaner. I use it for everything. Best stuff ever
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireallywanttobelieve! View Post
    You could try to add some vinegar to the soft scrub recipe. It will bubble up some, just let it bubble until done. Then add the paste to the calcium deposits and let sit for 15 minutes. Then come back and give it a good scrub. That worked on my Iron (red) stains in my previous home. Good luck!

Thanks. I will give it a try this weekend.

fondalashay is offline Senior Member
    I make all my own too.

All purpose cleaner - 1 cup vinegar, drop of castile soap, fill bottle.

Glass cleaner - straight vinegar

Tough scrub - baking soda and water paste

Laundry - soapnuts and vinegar

Dishwasher - soapnuts in the closed off part of the silverware thingy

Hand dish washing - bar of castile soap

Floors - all purpose cleaner

Pans that have food caked on - hot water overnight with a spoon of baking soda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast