Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarence Bass Article on Whole Grains page

Tee
    Tee is online now Senior Member

Clarence Bass Article on Whole Grains

Primal Fuel
    Here's an article from Clarence Bass blog. What are your thoughts?

Whole Grains Fight Abdominal Fat

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    That whole grains are less shit than refined?

Barefoot is offline Member
    "Eat grains or donít eat grains?" This is his opening question, and yet none of the information he gives has anything to do with that question. He is talking about a study that compares whole grains to white bread and pasta, and I am not surprised at all that whole grains win that battle. They never include a no-grain control group in these studies though, and until they do they are not showing the whole picture.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    My thought is that the subjects of this study are likely college students who are young enough that they haven't developed leaky gut yet. When I was that age, CW and calorie counting worked for me, too.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    The whole "eat whole grains" mantra is predicated on an unspoken supposition that really should be tacked onto either end of the phrase: "If you're going to eat grains, eat whole grains because they have more fiber and a couple more vitamins than refined flour does."
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The whole "eat whole grains" mantra is predicated on an unspoken supposition that really should be tacked onto either end of the phrase: "If you're going to eat grains, eat whole grains because they have more fiber and a couple more vitamins than refined flour does."
    On the other hand, it may be better to just eat the refined grains (like white flour rather than whole wheat flour) because at least it doesn't have as many lectins and other mineral-depleting, gut-killing stuff.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Good observations so far. I think this guy just really really wants to believe that grains are good. He mentions it in the article just how terrible the world would be without bread.

Observational studies aren't used for anything other than a hypothesis, or when I use a contradictory one in response to someone who uses an observational study to try to "prove" their point, thus causing their heads to explode. They're not overly useful for actually arguing your point and all we have to do is explain how there could be correlation without causation to send the discussion back to the drawing board and hopefully into a more fruitful mode of argument, like empirical evidence.

Whole grains in epidemiology are always correlated with health-consciousness and health-consciousness is correlated with supplement use, that is uncontroversial. A multivitamin is correlated with a healthier weight Whole Health Source: Low Micronutrient Intake may Contribute to Obesity

I agree that refined wheat>whole wheat. Although probably not refined wheat>other non-wheat whole grains.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Whole grains in epidemiology are always correlated with health-consciousness and health-consciousness is correlated with supplement use, that is uncontroversial. A multivitamin is correlated with a healthier weight Whole Health Source: Low Micronutrient Intake may Contribute to Obesity
    Would you really call that a correlation between a multivitamin and weight loss though? It was an experiment on overweight women from a wide age range. Seemingly other factors (smoking, drinking, etc.) were the same or remained the same, so I'd say there's a clear causal link there, it's not like whole grains being correlated with health when whole grain-eaters are mostly people who already have other 'healthy' habits (like that study where the whole grain eaters also were less likely to drink to excess, smoke, more likely to exercise, etc.)

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Right, causal in that study, sorry. Yes there are other factors too, definitely. Always other factors. People don't eat foods or nutrients in a vacuum, they have behavioral patterns that encompass many factors that group together statistically Clarance Bass is a propagator of conventional wisdom with sweet body comp on a run-yourelf-ragged and starve yourself approach, but also many health problems like osteoarthritis. He is a fitness "guru" but not to be listened to for health. He could also do better in the fitness department without the nonsense.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

kurite is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Once again people are using association as proof of causation. In other words if people are eating whole grains then most likely they are living a healthier lifestyle because of CW. This means that they probably eat less crappy super refined foods and exercise more and thats where you get those positive results not because grains=healthy. This is why I just don't care about studies anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast