Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going primal AND going on deployment! page

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

Going primal AND going on deployment!

Shop Now
    ALOHA from Oahu! So I am still reading Marks book "The Primal Blueprint" but at the suggestion of my commanding officer - who is over 40, runs a perfect Marine Corps fitness test and has less than 8 percent body fat - I have all ready decided to start living a more primal lifestyle. Unfortunately, I will be heading out on a 8 month long combat deployment to Afghanistan. I am not overly worried about being able to eliminate grains and artificial sugars but what I really need are some tips on snacks I can take with me on the go that will fulfill my protein and vegetable needs especially since the book says to limit the amount of dried fruit you consume. Basically, I need a cost efficient way to make my own primal snacks and am looking for recipes to help with this! Thinking there are probably some primal backpackers out here with some good recipes for food that will keep over the long haul!

Thanks for your help and I look forward to returning and possibly contributing to the recipes board!

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I wish I could help, but I don't know what you will have available to you, and I'm a newbie too. Best of luck to you and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Are you going to be more in a large camp like KAF or BAF or outside the wire in a smaller base? If you can eat mostly at the DFACs, it shouldn't be too bad to make decent choices much of the time, but if you are having to rely on MREs, that's a different story. I wasn't primal when I was in KAF for 7 months, but in hindsight, it could be done there.

Well basically I can ship almost anything from the good ol' US of A through my awesome family and amazing girlfriend. I just need guidance on what will have a long shelf life and what will be transportable.

I will be at FOB Delhi across the road from Dwier in Helmand.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Protein powder, good quality beef jerky, nuts if you plan to include them. Omega 3. Should be lots of Vitamin D available, haha. Coconut oil would stay liquid, but maybe coconut butter is an idea. Dried coconut flakes.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Look up SpecOps on the boards. He might be a great resource.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Protein powder, good quality beef jerky, nuts if you plan to include them. Omega 3. Should be lots of Vitamin D available, haha. Coconut oil would stay liquid, but maybe coconut butter is an idea. Dried coconut flakes.
    Those are all great suggestions. Also, pouches of wild salmon for extra Omega 3's (if you can stand the smell), larabars-basically just nut & fruit bars, individual packets of almond butter - or just eat it out of the jar. A lot of people here swear by pemmican, but I am always concerned about its shelf-life.

I'm just a backpacker, and not in the service (but thank you! ) I'll be experimenting with powdered coconut milk soon, so maybe that's an option... I'm thinking freeze dried fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas) with coconut milk & protein powder + water for an on-the go breakfast shake. Freeze dried fruit tastes fresher than dried fruit does, with less concentrated calories & sugars, and it can be crushed into a powder pretty easily. Most of my recipes are for one-pot meals though, not so much "on the go"... but if I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Hey thanks for all the help everyone. I am here now and yep, definetely the desert. Our chow hall is freaking terrible which normally wouldn't bother me except that I started eating primaly about a month before I left so it took about a solid three weeks for my stomach to "adjust." Now I am just trying to eat a lot of tuna and nuts and dried fruit. I got some salmon fillets that Bumble Bee makes so I have those for dinner too. I will give the dehidrated fruit a shot though and also the dehydrated coconut milk and "nut butters." Again, thank you all for your help and support!

EricS is offline Member
    Depending on your activity level some dried fruit in a primal trail mix may not be a problem. Also tins of salmon or tuna packed in olive oil with pop tops can get you a good fat and protein snack.

"Our chow hall is freaking terrible" I remember a field exercise when we had shit on a shingle for 3 meals straight. I'd almost rather eat an MRE at that point... almost.
    Last edited by EricS; 05-26-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast